When did Big Ben pass the ‘bus test’?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
74_75_78_79_

When did Big Ben pass the ‘bus test’?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Whether you’re a Steeler-fan or not, may as well admit that Big Ben’s going to Canton. This despite forever being overshadowed by his contemporaries Brady & Peyton (along with Brees & Aaron). If not first-ballot which I’m sure he won’t, then very soon enough after; if only (fair or not) because he won two SBs and played for a marque franchise.

In either event, at what point in his career did he ‘clinch’ Canton? I’m sure the obvious - but perhaps correct - answer would be that final drive to beat the Cards in SBXLIII.
L.C. Greenwood

Re: When did Big Ben pass the ‘bus test’?

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Whether you’re a Steeler-fan or not, may as well admit that Big Ben’s going to Canton. This despite forever being overshadowed by his contemporaries Brady & Peyton (along with Brees & Aaron). If not first-ballot which I’m sure he won’t, then very soon enough after; if only (fair or not) because he won two SBs and played for a marque franchise.

In either event, at what point in his career did he ‘clinch’ Canton? I’m sure the obvious - but perhaps correct - answer would be that final drive to beat the Cards in SBXLIII.
So I take it the "bus test", is the clincher for Canton. I'd honestly be surprised if BB isn't a first ballot selection, we have to remember Brady and Manning are top five QBs ever, and played in the same conference. Substantial regular season and postseason success, and all time passing leader of a storied franchise. Passes the eye test of a first ballot guy to me. The issue for some is style, of the four QBs you mentioned, BB was the least graceful. Often, it wasn't pretty, but aside from the impressive wins and stats, we may be talking about the toughest QB the NFL has ever seen.

SB43 was a great achievement, but that was only his fifth NFL season, so more work was needed. If voters wish to hold unproven allegations from a 2009 Georgia incident against BB, that's their problem, the man was never charged. Ray Lewis was charged in a conspiracy in a homicide investigation back in 2001, a far more serious offense.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

He probably didn't "clinch" it for sure until his amazing 2014 regular season.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Yes, LC, “more work WAS needed” after SBXLIII. What I meant to say, or should have meant to say, was that it laid the initial groundwork which still had to be built further. Simply putting up some good numbers and performances for a few more years even if he never wins another Ring; but still having to win that second Ring (and the way in which he did it) in order for what lied ahead to work. An entire career with Chargers, and no SB-appearance...yes, no such thread is made. If Big Ben retires right after that second Lombardi...of course no HOF. But perhaps he clinched Canton two years later by simply returning yet again to the Big Game albeit a defeat as well as Steelers ‘avoiding’ the Pats. I’d lean slightly to that still not having not been enough. The more likely moment is what you say, Chris, and that’s 2014. Especially those back-to-back 6-TD-mega-performances vs Colts & Ravens!
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I think it's a culmination of all the success he's had - three SB appearances (two wins), many division titles, all the Steelers passing records, immaculate comebacks/wins, and the highlight reel plays he makes. Ben is the best scrambling QB who is 6'5" 250+ lbs in NFL history.
Ness

Post by Ness »

sluggermatt15 wrote:I think it's a culmination of all the success he's had - three SB appearances (two wins), many division titles, all the Steelers passing records, immaculate comebacks/wins, and the highlight reel plays he makes. Ben is the best scrambling QB who is 6'5" 250+ lbs in NFL history.
Cam Newton.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Ness wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote:I think it's a culmination of all the success he's had - three SB appearances (two wins), many division titles, all the Steelers passing records, immaculate comebacks/wins, and the highlight reel plays he makes. Ben is the best scrambling QB who is 6'5" 250+ lbs in NFL history.
Cam Newton.
Ben's more elusive. Not now as he is over 35, but in his prime he was. Ask any player who played against him, they'll tell you so. Some plays it took 3-4 guys to bring him down!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

After losing to the Browns, will the Steelers let him come back because I dont think Big Ben will retire ?