Leon Gray and Jim Lachey - HOVG?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Gary Najman

Leon Gray and Jim Lachey - HOVG?

Post by Gary Najman »

I think both Gray and Lachey (who will be eligible this year to the HOVG) are worthy. What do you think?
Brian wolf

Re: Leon Gray and Jim Lachey - HOVG?

Post by Brian wolf »

Absolutely if not HOF cases, especially Gray ...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Gray's career was done at age 30, which is pretty young for an OT. Lachey didn't last much longer, as both suffered from Marvin Powell Syndrome. I always thought Lachey was a bit overrated, getting a lot of credit for becoming a cog in the Redskin machine, but maybe that's just me. I'd take both guys over Jimbo Covert, who somehow is in the HOF. I'd put both guys a couple notches below Mike Kenn. But to answer the question at hand, I think either guy would be a good HOVG choice.

In one of the Oiler-Steeler championship games, Merlin Olsen comments that Leon Gray is the "best black blocker in the NFL". If that had been said today, poor Merlin would have been kicked of the Little House on the Prairie due to public outrage.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Bryan wrote:Gray's career was done at age 30, which is pretty young for an OT. Lachey didn't last much longer, as both suffered from Marvin Powell Syndrome. I always thought Lachey was a bit overrated, getting a lot of credit for becoming a cog in the Redskin machine, but maybe that's just me. I'd take both guys over Jimbo Covert, who somehow is in the HOF. I'd put both guys a couple notches below Mike Kenn. But to answer the question at hand, I think either guy would be a good HOVG choice.

In one of the Oiler-Steeler championship games, Merlin Olsen comments that Leon Gray is the "best black blocker in the NFL". If that had been said today, poor Merlin would have been kicked of the Little House on the Prairie due to public outrage.
I'd second that Bryan
racepug

Post by racepug »

I think I heard John Hannah once say that when Leon Gray left the Patriots he knew his team's chances of winning a championship were pretty much gone.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

I've heard players say that Leon Gray was the best offensive lineman they ever played against....that's good enough for me....and his teammate John Hannah thought a lot of him, too....I think he was really angry when Gray was traded..."this team doesn't want to win" -- I think he said something like that if I remember right....
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael