Patrick Mahomes

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
74_75_78_79_

Patrick Mahomes

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Safe to assume had his Chiefs won yesterday while playing yet another great game that - a la Terrell Davis - he would have already clinched Canton despite it being early in his career. Losing yesterday and lopsided, however, sets things back quite a bit.

Thoughts?
RichardBak

Re: Patrick Mahomes

Post by RichardBak »

Barring injury or joining a cult, he's got a long career ahead of him. Taking a team to back-to-back SB and wining one of them means he's already got one foot inside Canton's front door, even if he never returns to Super Sunday. I assume he'll keep racking up all sorts of numbers and awards. While it's never safe to say anyone is a cinch at this young stage of a player's career, you just gotta believe he's a pretty good bet for the HOF.

Then again, a bunch of us were probably saying that about Cam Newton, Michael Vick, etc.

I have to admit, when it comes to predictions I pretty much deserve not to be listened to. I was on some other thread saying Mahone & Co. were going to put up 38 points vs. TB.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Joe Theismann played in two Super Bowls, winning one. He also won an NFL MVP. He's not it. Though Mahomes was a SB MVP as well and Theismann was not.

Other QBs who played in two SBs, winning at least one, not in? Plunkett, but he never even made the Pro Bowl. Eli Manning, but he'll have his backers. Russell Wilson already has a good chance of going in.

I think he probably needs to do more due to the increased longevity at the position. But he needs to play well, get in the Pro Bowl one or two more times at least. Best statistical season was 2018. Would help to get back to that. He's probably quite a bit of the way there, but not quite yet.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Jay Z wrote:Joe Theismann played in two Super Bowls, winning one. He also won an NFL MVP. He's not it. Though Mahomes was a SB MVP as well and Theismann was not.

Other QBs who played in two SBs, winning at least one, not in? Plunkett, but he never even made the Pro Bowl. Eli Manning, but he'll have his backers. Russell Wilson already has a good chance of going in.

I think he probably needs to do more due to the increased longevity at the position. But he needs to play well, get in the Pro Bowl one or two more times at least. Best statistical season was 2018. Would help to get back to that. He's probably quite a bit of the way there, but not quite yet.
Phil Simms. He's not even in the HOVG.

I don't think Mahomes is a lock if his career ended today. He just choked in the biggest game of his career.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Oh, I don't think Mahone is a lock after just 4 seasons. Again, all I'm saying is that if he keeps up his game for another 8-10 seasons, and he accrues some more hardware along the way (not necessarily SB rings), he'll probably get in. He's got the foot in the door, but he still needs to get his shoulders, gall bladder, ear lobes, kidneys, etc. through. Maybe he'll flame out like Cam. Who knows?

Of the 3 QBs mentioned here---Theismann, Plunkett, and Simms---all of them were in their 30s when they made their first SB. Theismann and Plunkett were 33, Simms was 31. They were in mid- to late-career. Mahones is only 24 and he's already steered the Chiefs to 2 SB and been the MVP of one. None of those guys struck me as future HOFers when I was watching them in real time back in the day, or at least not in the way that Mahones does.

I just looked up Theismann, Plunkett & Simms on PFR. They collectively played 41 seasons and between them had just 4 Pro Bowl selections and 1 First Team All-Pro. Mahones has played 4 seasons and already has 3 Pro Bowl selections and 1 First Team All-Pro. Assuming he stays healthy, the future seems pretty bright.

Slightly OT...I have to wonder how much of a distraction Reid's drunk driving accident was to the team's preparation and overall mindset in the locker room, to say nothing of HC Reid's concentration. One of those kids is in critical condition.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

sluggermatt15 wrote: Phil Simms. He's not even in the HOVG.

I don't think Mahomes is a lock if his career ended today. He just choked in the biggest game of his career.
Simms only played in one SB. Hostetler won the other one.

Mahomes choked? Brady stands up under that pass rush?
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Jay Z wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote: Phil Simms. He's not even in the HOVG.

Simms only played in one SB. Hostetler won the other one.

Mahomes choked? Brady stands up under that pass rush?
Thank you for the correction.

I don't know, but Brady practices against that defense. He knows what pass rush he is up against.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Mahomes has a bright future but he got skittish sometimes in the pocket and will learn not to scramble backward so much and do a better job setting his feet but it was difficult with the DTs getting a good push. Remember, he had two dropped TD passes and even Kelce dropped some balls. That one pass where he flicked his wrist and hit Hill in the face, would have been a beautiful TD pass but once Hill dropped it, it was more difficult to keep offensive momentum and Brady's TD passes kept the pressure on.
racepug

Post by racepug »

I think Patrick Mahomes has a very promising future as an N.F.L. quarterback barring, as that other member wrote, getting injured or joining a cult. Having stated that, no way do I think he's a lock after only 3 seasons and he did not play well in this year's S.B. That was easily the worst performance I've seen by him as a pro (in his defense none of his teammates really "stepped up to the plate" in that game, either. For all I admire what Tom Brady has accomplished in his football career I was very disappointed with the Chiefs in that game. Hat's off to Tom Brady but it would've been nice, if he was going to win that game, to do it against a team that actually showed up for the game).