John Elway

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
ChrisBabcock

John Elway

Post by ChrisBabcock »

No, I'm not suggesting removing him from the Hall. Although let's imagine an alternate universe in which Tommy Maddox is annointed the starter in Denver at some point in the early 90s, they realize the trade capital they have in Elway and deal him to a QB needy team. The Colts? Wouldn't THAT be ironic. He becomes an above average starter there and probably makes a playoff appearance or two. But no conference championships let alone Super Bowl victories. Would he then have enough on his resume to make the PFHOF? So basically, would he be Hall worthy based on his 80s Denver output and not much else?
Brian wolf

Re: John Elway

Post by Brian wolf »

I think Elway could have taken any team he played on to the SB. He would have elevated talent around him.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Does this alternate universe include a double-ring of kielbasa for 20 cents and beer at 50 cents a case? Asking for a friend.
boknows34

Post by boknows34 »

Elway playing for the Irsay family? :)

Let’s say he did, the Colts would’ve been good enough that they don’t end up in a position to draft Peyton Manning. Also ironic that the Chargers could draft Peyton instead of his younger brother six years later we don’t end up with the Eli/Rivers trade in 2004 or Drew Brees in San Diego.

Ah, the butterfly effect!!!
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Up until not too very long ago, I've caught myself underrating him All-Time-Greats-wise. I'm not saying that he should be in the 'Mt Rushmore' of QBs, and also not saying that he would have done better in Walsh's 'West Coast' than Joe or would have done better working with Belichick in NE, but he's definitely an "if-you-have-to-build-a-team-around" candidate! Say, he, OJ, and Deacon surrounded by a mediocre-at-best roster. Even on a bad team even without a RB, he could have made things happen on the field elevating his team to respectability, at least.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Brian wolf wrote:I think Elway could have taken any team he played on to the SB. He would have elevated talent around him.
Agree 100%.

You trade Kosar for Elway and the Browns go to 3 Super Bowls....You put Elway on Minnesota with Herschel Walker and Anthony Carter and Steve Jordan -- they likely would have made a Super Bowl. Colts? With Eric Dickerson in the backfield? I mean, look at what he did with Davis at the end of his career....he never had a great running game in Denver until Davis....

Like you said, he was one of those guys who made everybody better....

And he did things that I haven't seen anybody else do ever (and I've watched since the 1970s...) Like throwing the ball across his body 45-50 years right on the mark....coming back from 20-6 to win in the last two minutes without any timeouts....and people call Aaron Rodgers the "best ever at the free play" but I'm telling you, Rodgers is good, but Elway would turn those into 40, 50 yard gains....the 1986 wildcard against New England is a great example of how he just turned the whole game upside down with a 45 yard TD on a free play....

I agree, he's on the list for who to build a team around all-time....If you make me pick who the greatest quarterback I've seen, I'd tell you Brady or Montana (I'm too young to remember Unitas/Starr/Graham)....but if you ask me who I would want out there for me every game, or if there was one game I had to win, I'd pick John Elway....
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael