Nat Moore

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Jay Z

Nat Moore

Post by Jay Z »

13 years with the same team. Stats are comparable to Cliff Branch. Branch had more yards, Moore more receptions and TDs.

Was 1st team All Pro in 1977, Pro Bowl that year too. No other honors. Had the best receiving stats in the ultimate dead ball year for passing.

Good right away, led the two time defending champ Dolphins in receiving as a rookie. Hurt his knee in 1981, offseason surgery that year and recovery the following year, which meant he couldn't contribute to the memorable playoff games the Dolphins played those seasons. Apparently he didn't care for Woodley either and thrived when Marino came in. Also missed the playoffs with 10-4 Dolphin teams in 1975 and 1977 when he was at his peak.

Branch had a stable situation in Oakland and won three rings. He also usually had good TEs and Biletnikoff and Chandler to take the load off.

Thoughts?
Brian wolf

Re: Nat Moore

Post by Brian wolf »

Good call ...

Moore going over the middle allowed the Marks Bros to thrive ... underrated
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

I concur with brian
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Branch had significantly more yards because he had a couple monster seasons, but I never would have guessed that Moore had more TDs. Moore really benefited from Marino in that regard, putting up 26 TDs as a part-time starter from age 32-35. I guess you can say Branch had a stable situation, but Moore had Bob Griese and Dan Marino as his QBs. Not bad.

Branch had big postseason games and IIRC was the leading postseason WR for awhile. Moore didn't really do all that much despite making the postseason 8 times. That said, the most interesting thing I found looking at their careers is that Branch had two seasons in his relative prime where he basically started all 16 games and managed to score only 1 TD (1978 & 1981). Moore was very consistent over the course of his career.

I guess I'd take Branch's 'high ceiling' over Moore's career, but its an interesting comparison. As you said, Moore's best season came during the dead ball era (I remember seeing a stat that the WR with the most catches from 1975-1977 was...Bob Chandler! Another guy who is virtually forgotten due to bad timing). Moore was definitely underrated.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Very valid points Bryan