Andy Russell

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
74_75_78_79_

Andy Russell

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Yes, just one 1st-team All Pro in ’75 (but three 2nd-teams), and he is in the HOVG as of ’11, seven Pro Bowls, but I guess no chance for the HOF at this point? Jack Ham in this article below makes a case...

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nfl/j ... HxgD1gGB0A

Yes, he was a teammate and friend, and he makes an error in saying that Russell played against Dorsett, but overall a nice article with valid points! The Steel Curtain did drop off a tad in ’77 after Russell left. If Donnie Shell isn’t the last of the Steel Curtain, or ’70s Steelers-period, to make it to Canton, then shouldn’t he be the next?
JuggernautJ

Re: Andy Russell

Post by JuggernautJ »

I grew up watching the late 60's - 70's Steelers.
I remember times when Andy Russell was the only bright spot on an otherwise hopeless team.
And Andy was a favorite player of my Dad's.

For these reasons I probably remember Russell as being better than he was (disclaimer) but I remember him as being very, very good (on an often terrible team). I think he definitely belongs in the Hall of (the) Very Good.
The Hall of Fame might be pushing it a bit...

His two championships certainly help his case for enshrinement.
One can only wonder if he would already be in the HoF had he stuck around for the next two...
sluggermatt15

Re: Andy Russell

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Russell would have to be elected as a senior member, correct?