Help with pre-war Nominees

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
TanksAndSpartans

Help with pre-war Nominees

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

It may be too late for me to do a detailed bio of each of these players, but spent some time this weekend at least getting a list together. I can't nominate all these guys, so if you've ever considered nominating any of them or want to discuss here, let's make this the year to get one in. They really aren't ranked, its mostly off the top of my head, so the ones I like more tend to be higher. (Or if you want, just help me with the list, I'm sure there are a lot left out). Finally, a lot of these players didn't play in the NFL or maybe snuck in at the tail end when they were older like Jim Thorpe. I think they still deserve a look though to cover the entirety of pro football history:

Backs
John Gammons ('90s)
Ed Young ('90s)
Charles Follis ('00s)
Homer Davidson ('10s)
Norb Sacksteder ('10s)
Tommy Hughitt (might belong in "Passer" group below; '10s)
Pete Calac ('10s)
Stanley Cofall ('10s)
Tony Latone ('20s)
Jack McBride ('20s)
Tex Hamer ('20s)
Henry “Hinkey” Haines ('20s)
George “Wildcat” Wilson ('20s)
Hap Moran ('20s)
Elmer Oliphant ('20s)
Bo Molenda ('30s)
Roy “Father” Lumpkin ('30s)
Ernie Caddel ('30s)
Ace Gutowsky ('30s)

Passers (subset of backs, early passing QB types)
John Brailler ('90s)
Peggy Parratt ('00s)
Al Mahrt ('10s)
Red Dunn ('20s)

Ends
Bob Nash ('10s)
Tillie Voss ('20s)
Luke Urban ('20s)
Charlie Berry ('20s)

Linemen
Herman Kerchoff ('90s)
Bob Shiring ('00s)
Blondy Wallace ('00s)
Ralph “Fat” Waldsmith ('10s)
Cub Buck ('10s)
Duke Osborn ('20s)
George Christensen ('30s)

Multiple Positions (This is meant as a positive - players you could line up either in the backfield or on the line depending what was needed)
Lawson Fiscuss ('90s)
Ross Fiscuss ('90s)
Frank Nesser ('00s)

Coaches
Clark Shaughnessy
Last edited by TanksAndSpartans on Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 7 times in total.
JeffreyMiller

Re: Help with pre-war Nominees

Post by JeffreyMiller »

No Buffalo guys (except for Nash)? Ya lost me ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
TanksAndSpartans

JeffreyMiller wrote:No Buffalo guys (except for Nash)? Ya lost me ...
Lost you already!?! Take another look - did I get you back?

I actually think Nash is a great HOVG candidate. I included him on my half-decade team for '15-19, the PFRA member who wrote the book on early Akron football felt not having him in late '20 negatively impacted Akron as they held on to win the title in a couple scoreless games. Testimonials from Neale and Thorpe. I'd love to see him on the ballot.

Let me know who else you have and I'll add them. It doesn't have to be one of my favorite players - I'm advocating for balance. We have Ted Nesser, one more pre-NFL player than the HOF has. We were ahead of the curve on Friedman, Dilweg, others, but let's do even better - let's have a HOVG that covers the whole range of pro football history.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

I think you just killed your own argument. You seemed unhappy that the players you were pulling for weren't getting. Then you post a list of players you feel are worthy and leave off some I feel are worthy. I
Then you try to justify the list by pointing out one guy who played handful of games for a team that posted back to back 9-1 records and a .620 winning pct between 1920 and 1921, and you think that covers it? What about 3 time all pro end Luke Urban? Or the coach who guided the team through its first five years and that .620 Oct (Tommy Hughitt).
Seems we all have favorites but not everyone will agree with us.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

I would "second" the nominations of these guys

Tony Latone
Roy “Father” Lumpkin
Jack McBride
Tex Hamer
Ace Gutowsky
George Christensen
Cub Buck
Frank Nesser
Clark Shaughnessy
TanksAndSpartans

JeffreyMiller wrote:I think you just killed your own argument.
How? My argument is 4/83 pre-war players in 10 years is unbalanced. I'm an advocate of covering all periods of history with the HOVG and HOF.
JeffreyMiller wrote:You seemed unhappy that the players you were pulling for weren't getting.
Nope, not true. I was unhappy all the players getting in are from the same time period. I totally get Latone not getting in - if you review my earlier posts, I explained why. I wasn't so much upset about Christiansen, I just said he was a head scratcher for me because he has the type of resume that usually works for HOVG selection.
JeffreyMiller wrote:Then you post a list of players you feel are worthy and leave off some I feel are worthy.
I'm more than happy to add players you feel are worthy. You mentioned Buffalo and I added Urban, Voss, Hughitt and Oliphant. Why make me guess? I'm happy for the list to be longer - I said that in my 1st post. Also, I'm not sure all these players are worthy - it's more of a "worth a look" list.
JeffreyMiller wrote:Then you try to justify the list by pointing out one guy who played handful of games for a team that posted back to back 9-1 records and a .620 winning pct between 1920 and 1921, and you think that covers it?
Honestly, I'm not great at trivia. Who are you referring to? Nash? I agree his Buffalo days aren't the strongest part of his resume, but I still think he's worthy of consideration. I actually don't think one player could justify the list. I tried to pull some players from all the early eras and I said in the first post, please help, I'm sure I missed some.
Last edited by TanksAndSpartans on Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

JohnTurney wrote:Also, I have no idea what you are talking about - justify the list. Take another look - Urban is there and Hughitt.
I swear I looked specifically for Buffalo guys on your list and didn't see them when I looked. An apology is on order. I am glad we agree.

My point that everyone's list will differ is relevant though. I have a personal list of a half-dozen players I want to see enshrined in Canton, but I fear their last chance just passed.
TanksAndSpartans

JeffreyMiller wrote:
JohnTurney wrote:Also, I have no idea what you are talking about - justify the list. Take another look - Urban is there and Hughitt.
I swear I looked specifically for Buffalo guys on your list and didn't see them when I looked. An apology is on order. I am glad we agree.

My point that everyone's list will differ is relevant though. I have a personal list of a half-dozen players I want to see enshrined in Canton, but I fear their last chance just passed.
It's fine - no need to apologize. It's an anonymous message board, you don't know me and maybe you just skimmed some of my posts - it's understandable. If anything, I owe you one, you gave me a chance to better explain in the post above. I actually want the list to be long. I want it as a counterpoint to anyone who says, the early eras have been considered, no need to go back.

So if anyone has more pre-war players - please tell me.
Last edited by TanksAndSpartans on Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TanksAndSpartans

JohnTurney wrote:I would "second" the nominations of these guys

Tony Latone
Roy “Father” Lumpkin
Jack McBride
Tex Hamer
Ace Gutowsky
George Christensen
Cub Buck
Frank Nesser
Clark Shaughnessy
Thanks John - I appreciate knowing the ones folks agree with, that helps with ranking. Blocking Back is a position that probably won't get you in the HOF, but I like the idea of the HOVG giving Lumpkin a look, I think he's a good fit for it. I tried to start a Shaughnessy thread, but then I hijacked it myself which was stupid. Coaches aren't my main area of interest, but when a guy's name keeps coming up in different sources, I start to think there is something to it.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

While I agree your list shows many names we've missed inducting into the Hall of the Very Good over the years I think it might be best to pick one or two names per year to focus on if we hope to muster enough votes for inclusion.

I think you (we) should choose one and stump for him by posting a mini-bio and reasons for him to get into the Hall.
I was very seriously considering nominating Peggy Parratt this year but maybe we should work off John's list (after all, it appears we already have him in our corner on those names).

Who would we consider most-electable of those named?