MLB HOF and CFB 'best ever' vs. Ed Sprinkle

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Bryan

MLB HOF and CFB 'best ever' vs. Ed Sprinkle

Post by Bryan »

I usually don't get worked up over HOF snubs/bad selections...but this Ed Sprinkle thing really sticks in my craw. I haven't felt this frustrated since Floyd Little got enshrined. What makes Sprinkle's selection worse is that it was specifically part of some super-research old timers committee, and there were other far more deserving names on the list that weren't picked. Ack.

Anyways, it made me feel better to witness the MLB HOF voting and the CFB 'best 11 players ever' lists. The NFL HOF is superior by comparison.

MLB - only two guys got in...Jeter was a shoo-in (although 396/397 is a topic), and Larry Walker finally made it in on his last year, which was also a topic. Two of the best players in MLB history (Clemens & Bonds) did not make it. Looking at who will be first time eligible for 2021 (Tim Hudson, Mark Buehrle, Torii Hunter), it is highly possible that next year the MLB HOF will have zero players enshrined, which wouldn't be a first. On a minor note, someone actually voted for Adam Dunn to be put in Cooperstown.

What irks me the most is how PED 'suspects' like Pudge Rodriguez and Jeff Bagwell can kind of float into Cooperstown, and a guy like Sammy Sosa (who never tested positive for PEDs) will receive less HOF votes than a schmuck like Andy Pettitte...who not only has no business being put in the HOF, but who also tested positive for PEDs! Sosa's numbers are better than many HOF players, yet he struggles to capture 10% of the vote. Who is to say that Larry Walker wasn't on PEDs? To me, it is a totally subjective criteria of who the media liked and who the media didn't like, with PED 'issues' being put forth as a phony justification.

CFB Best 11 - not sure if anyone saw this, but during halftime of one of the playoff games, CFB named their top 11 players in college football history. Yes, its a daunting task, but the effort given was terrible. First, there was no attempt to represent different position groups. Second, the picks were awful...especially the old time picks....The Top 11 are as follows, in order:

Jim Brown (RB, Syracuse, 1954-56)
Herschel Walker (RB, Georgia, 1980-82)
Bo Jackson (RB, Auburn, 1982-85)
Archie Griffin (RB, Ohio State, 1972-75)
Jim Thorpe (RB, Carlisle, 1907-12)
Red Grange (RB, Illinois, 1923-25)
Earl Campbell (RB, Texas, 1974-77)
Dick Butkus (LB, Illinois, 1962-64)
Barry Sanders (RB, Oklahoma State, 1986-88)
Gale Sayers (RB, Kansas, 1962-64)
Roger Staubach (QB, Navy, 1962-64)

*There is no way that Jim Brown was the best CFB player ever. He wasn't even the best Syracuse FB of his era. Tony Dorsett's college career is vastly superior to Brown's. I don't get it.

*The list is, OBVIOUSLY, too RB-heavy. And even then, those picks are terrible. Gale Sayers has no business being on the list at all. Barry Sanders below Bo Jackson? OK.

*Hey, at least Dick Butkus made the list.

*I love Roger Staubach, but come on. Was his college career better than Tim Tebow's? Vince Young's? Staubach is the best QB in CFB history??

In sum, this was one of the worst 'best ever' sports list I have ever seen. I thought there would be actual great college football players on it...Tim Tebow, Bubba Smith, Tony Dorsett, Jack Tatum, John Hannah, even an oddball pick like Andy Katzenmoyer or Howard Twilley.
boknows34

Re: MLB HOF and CFB 'best ever' vs. Ed Sprinkle

Post by boknows34 »

And why such an odd number like 11?

Tommie Frazier, Tebow and Young all deserve to be there. Reggie Bush’s time at USC is now somewhat tainted but boy was he huge at the time.

Brown at 1 was just hilariously bad. Even Brian Bosworth would have been a better choice. ;)
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Also was annoyed, then I laughed at, then just ignored the CFB list that was done during the CFP. They also couldn't even get Bo Jackson to show up so it wasn't something overly meaningful.

Just before they started listing names I thought; "Hugh Green, Griffin will be on their because of the two Heisman's, wonder if they'll make Tebow #1" and probably a few more obvious players ran through my head but the list started and I thought "this isn't what I thought it was" and picked up that they botched the entire thing then when they got down to #1 I still thought "I bet people will flip out about them picking Tebow as the best ever" and then they said Jim Brown! Ha!

The list was a joke, the presentation/on-field show was a joke, should just be a forgotten list that no one ever counts or references for anything.
JWL

Post by JWL »

I tried to forget about the all-time college team moments after I saw it. I think I was successful with that until this thread.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Bryan wrote:I usually don't get worked up over HOF snubs/bad selections...but this Ed Sprinkle thing really sticks in my craw. I haven't felt this frustrated since Floyd Little got enshrined. What makes Sprinkle's selection worse is that it was specifically part of some super-research old timers committee, and there were other far more deserving names on the list that weren't picked. Ack.
I bet that Sprinkle got in because of the NFL Films clip from the early 80s narrated by John Facenda.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Teo wrote:I bet that Sprinkle got in because of the NFL Films clip from the early 80s narrated by John Facenda.
I mentioned in a different thread that was probably about the extent of some of the voters "research" - I found the Sprinkle video with a quick Google search.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Teo wrote:I bet that Sprinkle got in because of the NFL Films clip from the early 80s narrated by John Facenda.
I think the HOF should have a special NFL Films clip wing...based on that, I would put in Willie Galimore, Jimmy Orr, Pat Fischer & Dickie Post.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Bryan wrote:
I think the HOF should have a special NFL Films clip wing...based on that, I would put in Willie Galimore, Jimmy Orr, Pat Fischer & Dickie Post.
How about Hardy Brown?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-t ... ardy-Brown
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Bryan wrote:
I read years ago that one time Willie Galimore was an Old Timers candidate for the PFHOF. Apparently Steve Sabol of NFL Films encouraged the idea.