Winston Hill

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JohnTurney

Winston Hill

Post by JohnTurney »

Rock Gosseling wrote a good piece on Winston Hill,

I am ambivalent on him, if he gets in fine, if not, fine...he's a bubble-type
guy. He made All-AFL in 1969, but lots of AFL-All-Star games. Pro Bowls, All-AFC type seasons
Read both good and middle of the road stuff on him, watching him he was fine, nothing
you could say stands out, but nothing bad--I rate him with Charlie Cowan in terms of what
he looked like when he plays, big mobile, more of a dancing bear than a mauler like Boomer
Brown.

He had a few years where Detroit News, Football News and Dr Z kind of "upped him" on minor
All-pro teams, but basically a 1-time All=Pro with a few 2nd team All-Pro/AFL seasons

Andy Piascik

Re: Winston Hill

Post by Andy Piascik »

He's definitely not one of the ten best among the 20 finalists. Hopefully they won't feel obligated to include him simply because he's the only one on the list who played in the AFL.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Guessing we'll find out maybe Friday--in time for weekends games

discussion and voting is today/tomorrow, right?
Andy Piascik

Post by Andy Piascik »

Yes, they're meeting Wednesday and Thursday. Hopefully they'll decide on the players Wednesday and the others Thursday. I'm much more interested in the players.

Maybe you can tap some of your secret sources, John, and get updates as they go along. No need to wait til the weekend.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Andy Piascik wrote:Yes, they're meeting Wednesday and Thursday. Hopefully they'll decide on the players Wednesday and the others Thursday. I'm much more interested in the players.

Maybe you can tap some of your secret sources, John, and get updates as they go along. No need to wait til the weekend.

I don't know much.

Been told Slater is a lock. RG close to a lock. Pearson also close. But all those, of course, could be wrong.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Andy Piascik wrote:He's definitely not one of the ten best among the 20 finalists. Hopefully they won't feel obligated to include him simply because he's the only one on the list who played in the AFL.

where is hill ranked in your op andy im curious
Andy Piascik

Post by Andy Piascik »

Do you mean of the 20 finalists? If so, near the bottom. Higher only than Carmichael, Sprinkle and Covert and maybe Isbell. If you're talking beyond just those 20, there are a lot of guys I would say are more deserving.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Andy Piascik wrote:Do you mean of the 20 finalists? If so, near the bottom. Higher only than Carmichael, Sprinkle and Covert and maybe Isbell. If you're talking beyond just those 20, there are a lot of guys I would say are more deserving.
of the 20 finalists
boknows34

Post by boknows34 »

Just been announced Hill has been selected to the HOF.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Good for Winston. After watching Klecko get inexplicably snubbed year after year it's good to see one of our guys make it. Hill was always a coin flip Hall of Famer in my mind.