Class of 2020 Centennial Hall of Fame Finalists

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Bryan

Re: Class of 2020 Centennial Hall of Fame Finalists

Post by Bryan »

Andy Piascik wrote:I'd be interested in your thoughts, John, but I think Howley was more deserving of one of the OLB spots for the 1960s team than Robinson. Robinson to me is a classic example of a guy who got an all decade honor he really didn't deserve and then that all-decade selection went a long way in the case that was made to get him into the HOF. When you add in Howley's unanimous all-pro season in 1970 and also getting some mention in 1971, his HOF credentials are definitely superior to Robinson's.
I agree that Howley's credentials are superior to Robinson's, and I was VERY disappointed that Howley wasn't on this year's super senior list because he is better than some of the LBs in the HOF...BUT...I don't know if Robinson's all-decade selection is what put him over Howley. I think Robinson was 'better' than Howley in that Robinson was just an all-around stud with no weakness. Howley was more of a gambler/Junior Seau/ducker-diver, while Robinson was stronger at the point-of-attack, IMO. I think at their respective peaks, I'd take Robinson over Howley. But again, Howley was such a unique player and was more productive than Robinson in terms of career.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

bachslunch wrote:Re Mike Stratton and the HotVG: Grantham and Fortunato were only very recently inducted into that Hall. My guess is that Stratton will make it in during the next few years.

There are several players who seem qualified but haven’t made it in yet. Stratton is one of several such folks.
Elected into the PFHOF or HOVG?
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

sluggermatt15 wrote:
bachslunch wrote:Re Mike Stratton and the HotVG: Grantham and Fortunato were only very recently inducted into that Hall. My guess is that Stratton will make it in during the next few years.

There are several players who seem qualified but haven’t made it in yet. Stratton is one of several such folks.
Elected into the PFHOF or HOVG?
Mike Stratton is a member of neither. But it wouldn’t surprise me if he makes the HOVG within the next couple years.

In a HoF world where neither Chuck Howley nor Maxie Baughan are members, I suspect Stratton is a non-starter.