Class of 2020 Centennial Hall of Fame Finalists

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
boknows34

Re: Class of 2020 Centennial Hall of Fame Finalists

Post by boknows34 »

Yes, noticed my error and changed it to Harold Jackson.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Teo wrote:
boknows34 wrote:Some of the top names I think that didn’t make the cut include:

Del Shofner
Chuck Howley
Eddie Meador
Maxie Baughan
LC Greenwood
Billy Howton
Drew Pearson
Bob Kuechenberg
Harold Jackson
Joe Klecko
Jim Tyrer
Ken Anderson

Feel free to add more and I’ll edit the list.
Pearson did made it. I would replace him with Lemar Parrish.
Good Call on Parrish Teo
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Boknows34, I’d also consider adding Jim Ray Smith, Duane Putnam, Dick Barwegen, Jimmy Patton, Dave Grayson, Bill Forester, Gene Brito, Mike Stratton, Ken Gray, Gale Gillingham, Abe Woodson, Art Powell, Riley Matheson, Tommy Davis, Billy Wilson, Tom Sestak, Earl Faison, George Kunz, Mark Gastineau, Mike Kenn, Pete Retzlaff, Bill Bergey, Jerry Smith, Ed White, Lionel Taylor, Roger Brown, Joe Jacoby, Todd Christensen, and Louis Wright.

Edit— thanks for pointing out the typo, rewing.
Last edited by bachslunch on Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
boknows34

Post by boknows34 »

bachslunch wrote:Boknows34, I’d also consider adding Jim Ray Smith, Duane Putnam, Dick Barwegen, Jimmy Patton, Dave Grayson, Bill Forester, Gene Brito, Mike Stratton, Ken Gray, Gale Gillingham, Abe Woodson, Art Powell, Riley Matheson, Rommy Davis, Billy Wilson, Tom Sestak, Earl Faison, George Kunz, Mark Gastineau, Mike Kenn, Pete Retzlaff, Bill Bergey, Jerry Smith, Ed White, Lionel Taylor, Roger Brown, Joe Jacoby, Todd Christensen, and Louis Wright.
Thanks Bachs. I added Patton and Jacoby to my own list before seeing your post. Hopefully with the modern era committee doing a much better job in recent years we’ll see much fewer HOF worthy players in future falling through into the Seniors Pool.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

bachslunch wrote:Boknows34, I’d also consider adding Jim Ray Smith, Duane Putnam, Dick Barwegen, Jimmy Patton, Dave Grayson, Bill Forester, Gene Brito, Mike Stratton, Ken Gray, Gale Gillingham, Abe Woodson, Art Powell, Riley Matheson, Rommy Davis, Billy Wilson, Tom Sestak, Earl Faison, George Kunz, Mark Gastineau, Mike Kenn, Pete Retzlaff, Bill Bergey, Jerry Smith, Ed White, Lionel Taylor, Roger Brown, Joe Jacoby, Todd Christensen, and Louis Wright.

Dont You Mean Tommy Davis
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Definitely have high hopes for this list, although I'm very annoyed to see Shofner and Howton left out. Jim Benton too, who no one has mentioned yet. Charley Hennigan. Seriously, respect the WRs. Anderson was very much expected but I'm totally fine with no QBs, Isbell has no chance. Rooting hard for a Dilweg/Lewellen stack because if only one gets in the other one probably never does. Of the post-63 nominees, Gradishar is the most deserving.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

People are talking about the Green Bay players cancelling themselves out. Some pick Dilweg (like me). Others pick Lewellen (like Cliff Cristl). I thought I would take a look at honors for each. Not that it is the overall determining factor, but that is something the voters look at for players. Some like All-Decade teams. Some like All-Pro. Some like championship teams.
Attachments
GB Comparison.jpg
GB Comparison.jpg (20.85 KiB) Viewed 22256 times
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Ken Crippen wrote:People are talking about the Green Bay players cancelling themselves out. Some pick Dilweg (like me). Others pick Lewellen (like Cliff Cristl). I thought I would take a look at honors for each. Not that it is the overall determining factor, but that is something the voters look at for players. Some like All-Decade teams. Some like All-Pro. Some like championship teams.

Id Vote for Verne and Lavie i certainly would not vote for cecil based on lack of honors
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

What would you say is each nominee's chances of making the cut? I think the only locks are one of Lewellen or Dilweg (the other has maybe 50% chance) and probably Gradishar. Shell and Karras also seem like great bets, since they were nominated for the all-time team.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

JameisLoseston wrote:What would you say is each nominee's chances of making the cut? I think the only locks are one of Lewellen or Dilweg (the other has maybe 50% chance) and probably Gradishar. Shell and Karras also seem like great bets, since they were nominated for the all-time team.
Agreed on shell karras gradishar getting both dilweg and lewellen in would clear the seniors pool i like Slater and wisterts chances