Newest HOVG Inductees

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Reaser

Re: Newest HOVG Inductees

Post by Reaser »

Yup, I nominated him year after year for a while and then others started nominating him also so I no longer had to, and I vote for him every year to be on the ballot (as part of the committee) and then vote for him as part of the final ballot. Thought this was going to finally be the year but -as said above- seems like it'll happen eventually.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Do we have anything close to relatively complete stats for Latone? What about other contemporaries, like Friedman, Grange, or Nevers? These and other early NFL guys interest me heavily, but I've never been able to find any more on them than is on their PFR cards.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

JameisLoseston wrote:Do we have anything close to relatively complete stats for Latone? What about other contemporaries, like Friedman, Grange, or Nevers? These and other early NFL guys interest me heavily, but I've never been able to find any more on them than is on their PFR cards.
The closest we've got is this...
http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/playe ... D/00620031

Although this site gives a "stats before 1932 are incomplete at best" disclaimer. (for obvious reasons)
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

JameisLoseston wrote:Do we have anything close to relatively complete stats for Latone? What about other contemporaries, like Friedman, Grange, or Nevers? These and other early NFL guys interest me heavily, but I've never been able to find any more on them than is on their PFR cards.
You can pick up a used copy of David Neft's (and coauthors) encyclopedia for just a few dollars with all the unofficial statistics:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... 183&sr=1-2

Bob Gill's article is my cheat sheet (even though he forgot Latone in '27 :)), its still one of my favorite CC articles. I would link it for you, but it looks like 1992 isn't available anymore:

THE COFFIN CORNER: Vol. 14, No. 2 (1992)
Statistical Leaders of the ‘20s
By Bob GIll

http://www.profootballresearchers.org/c ... orner.html
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
The closest we've got is this...
http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/playe ... D/00620031

Although this site gives a "stats before 1932 are incomplete at best" disclaimer. (for obvious reasons)
That is awesome, yet another site I will absolutely be saving! So much to explore and discover on here; for example, Benny Friedman was indeed a bad hombre, and Packers' Red Dunn seemed almost as good as Herber (HOVG?), but apparently Curly Lambeau and George Halas were really not good at anything in particular. Tex Hamer either has a typo in his 1924 stats, or he was absolutely run into the ground and excruciatingly terrible in the process; 703 carries for 789 yards?! WTF? As for Latone, he seems every bit HOVG to me, relative to other guys from the era who are in.
TanksAndSpartans

Hamer was 103 for 789.

P.S. You absorbed a lot in a short time! Did you know of Hamer before the site @ChrisBabcock shared?
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Hamer was 103 for 789.

P.S. You absorbed a lot in a short time! Did you know of Hamer before the site @ChrisBabcock shared?
I knew of him because some have speculated that he may have been the first 1000 yard rusher, so I decided to check on him. 103 for 789 is indeed much more effective that what it says, but if he got 1000 he probably did it in more than 16 games, unlike Beattie who did it in 10, while hurt. Feathers' story is really one of the most pyrrhic victories in football history. He got his 1000 yards, he became a hero - but at what cost? We lost what could have been the greatest RB of all time. He should definitely be HOVG, though.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Tex Hamer either has a typo in his 1924 stats, or he was absolutely run into the ground and excruciatingly terrible in the process; 703 carries for 789 yards?! WTF?
Yeah, there are some obvious typos on jt-sw. I've seen others. There's some interesting stuff in there nonetheless. I think I asked them once how they came up with those numbers. Cobbled together through newspaper clippings? It was awhile ago... I may have not gotten a response. At some point I should get out my Neft/Cohen book and see how their 20s stats compare.
TanksAndSpartans

ChrisBabcock wrote:Yeah, there are some obvious typos on jt-sw. I've seen others. There's some interesting stuff in there nonetheless. I think I asked them once how they came up with those numbers. Cobbled together through newspaper clippings? It was awhile ago... I may have not gotten a response. At some point I should get out my Neft/Cohen book and see how their 20s stats compare.
Those are the Neft numbers - I'm pretty familiar with them. Just some typos.
TanksAndSpartans

JameisLoseston wrote:but if he got 1000 he probably did it in more than 16 games
I wrote an article with a case for Hamer breaking 1000 in 14 games.
JameisLoseston wrote:Beattie who did it in 10, while hurt. Feathers' story is really one of the most pyrrhic victories in football history. He got his 1000 yards, he became a hero - but at what cost? We lost what could have been the greatest RB of all time. He should definitely be HOVG, though.
I don't recall Beattie being hurt, until, well he was and missed the last few games. I don't think he became a hero - I suspect no one in the early/mid 30s even blinked at that number. I see Feathers kind of like Spec Sanders - two statistically amazing seasons, but the lack of testimonials etc. make them feel like anomolies. We'll never know, but my suspicion is a healthy Feathers would have still regressed to the mean over the course of a larger sample - if not where is everyone (contemporaries) saying how great he was?