PFT reports that blue ribbon committee

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JohnTurney

PFT reports that blue ribbon committee

Post by JohnTurney »

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ega-class/

will choose HOF class and not full committee. Interesting turn
Rupert Patrick

Re: PFT reports that blue ribbon committee

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I guess this means that the 2020 season will not be counted as a season for the purposes of being "on the ballot" for Modern Era HOF candidates like Hines Ward and Randall Cunningham and Gary Anderson, since none of them will be eligible to be inducted in 2020. They'll all get an extra season tacked onto their HOF eligibility before they become Senior candidates.

I imagine some of those HOF electors who are not part of the Blue Ribbon panel such as Peter King must have a severe case of the red hiney today that they are cut out entirely from the 2020 Hall of Fame voting process. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them resign in protest.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

From what the article John linked to says, this bypass will only hold for the 15 blue ribbon panel group, not the class of five regular inductees.

It’s pretty clear there’s sufficient concern that the “whole-15-yes-or-no vote” could backfire, with no one getting in. The bad thing about this is that there’s a better chance a really bad choice, like Ken Riley or Tom Flores or Jim Marshall, might get in. The good thing is that someone like Jim Tyrer or Paul Tagliabue or Robert Kraft, who are essentially un-electable good choices, may make it.

Definitely made things more interesting in a certain sense. What effect that may have on the regular committee is also going to be intriguing.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

bachslunch wrote:From what the article John linked to says, this bypass will only hold for the 15 blue ribbon panel group, not the class of five regular inductees.

It’s pretty clear there’s sufficient concern that the “whole-15-yes-or-no vote” could backfire, with no one getting in. The bad thing about this is that there’s a better chance a really bad choice, like Ken Riley or Tom Flores or Jim Marshall, might get in. The good thing is that someone like Jim Tyrer or Paul Tagliabue or Robert Kraft, who are essentially un-electable good choices, may make it.

Definitely made things more interesting in a certain sense. What effect that may have on the regular committee is also going to be intriguing.
I guess I read it wrong about the regular inductees.

I was going thru the comment and a lot of them thought it was a ploy to get Art Modell into the Hall of Fame.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

I don’t think it’s necessarily a ploy to induct Art Modell, but he’s the kind of candidate who could benefit from this approach. In fact, one could see three of this type of Contributor (Modell, Tagliabue, Kraft) and two of this type of Coach (Flores, Coryell) be the ones who get in. I just hope the number of players of this type (Riley, Marshall, etc.) is minimized.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

bachslunch wrote:I don’t think it’s necessarily a ploy to induct Art Modell, but he’s the kind of candidate who could benefit from this approach. In fact, one could see three of this type of Contributor (Modell, Tagliabue, Kraft) and two of this type of Coach (Flores, Coryell) be the ones who get in. I just hope the number of players of this type (Riley, Marshall, etc.) is minimized.
I concur bachs