CENTENNIAL CLASS BLUE-RIBBON PANEL

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Ernie Accorsi – Longtime Pro Football Executive
Bill Belichick – New England Patriots Head Coach
Jarrett Bell – Hall of Fame Selector, USA Today
Joel Bussert – Former NFL Executive, Pro Football Historian
John Clayton – Hall of Fame Selector, The Washington Post
Frank Cooney – Hall of Fame Selector, Sports XChange
John Czarnecki – Hall of Fame Selector, FOX Sports
Rick Gosselin – Hall of Fame Selector, Talk of Fame Network
Elliott Harrison – Pro Football Historian and Long-time TV Analyst
Joe Horrigan – Retired Pro Football Hall of Fame Executive, Football Historian
Ira Kaufman – Hall of Fame Selector, JoeBucsFan.com
Dick LeBeau – Pro Football Hall of Fame cornerback, Longtime NFL coach
Jeff Legwold – Hall of Fame Selector, ESPN/ESPN.com
John Madden – Pro Football Hall of Fame Coach
John McClain – Hall of Fame Selector, Houston Chronicle
Gary Myers – Hall of Fame Selector, The Athletic
Ozzie Newsome – Pro Football Hall of Fame tight end, EVP Baltimore Ravens
Sal Paolantonio – Hall of Fame Selector, Senior National Correspondent - ESPN
Carl Peterson – Longtime Pro Football Executive
Bill Polian – Pro Football Hall of Fame Contributor
Dan Pompei – Hall of Fame Selector, The Athletic
Charean Williams – Hall of Fame Selector, Pro Football Talk
Chris Willis – Producer- Head of Research Library - NFL Films, Football Historian
Barry Wilner – Hall of Fame Selector, Associated Press
Ron Wolf – Pro Football Hall of Fame Contributor
JeffreyMiller

Re: CENTENNIAL CLASS BLUE-RIBBON PANEL

Post by JeffreyMiller »

I was never invited.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Bdbop

Post by Bdbop »

I messaged Rick Gosselin today to ask him the following:

"Does the panel select the 10 players, 2 coaches, 3 contributor nominees based upon the most deserving folks. Or, do they consider these individuals based upon what deserving players may never get their due, if it wasn't for this panel?" My feeling is that many of the names would be different, based upon how the panel decides to proceed on this task.

Rick's response was as follows:

Bart,

"It was commissioned to review 100 years, 10 decades of football and find the 15 most deserving who have been overlooked. I would hope a number of the selections are from the first half century. "

Rick
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Even though I don’t always agree with him, I’ve always had a lot of respect for Rick Gosselin. The correspondence above just confirms the respect. Let’s hope the other committee members feel this way, too.
Bdbop

Post by Bdbop »

Another of the Committee Members, (the only other one I had an e-mail for), responded back:

"Not sure I understand your question. The panel is supposed to pick the best players for induction into the Hall of Fame. In the words of Bucko Kilroy, “pick the players that dominated the game.” Hopefully politics, etc wont enter into it."

I responded back:

"Thanks for the response and hope all is well with you.

There are obviously a good number of deserving players that could be elected to the Hall of Fame, especially via this Select Committee. Many of the old-timers seem to be left behind, due to the "lack of knowledge" of those doing the selecting. So, obviously there is a bias towards the players that the Selectors may have seen play, in their lifetime. Or, at least that they have been able to view on film. I won't address the politics, or "hometown" bias issue, as I believe it does take place, but with a panel of 25 individuals, it should lessen that being a factor.

Without mentioning any names, I know there are a large number of worthy "old-timers," that may never even get a sniff at induction, if it weren't for this Panel. There are also a good number of more recent players, that have Hall of Fame credentials that, if not selected by this Panel, should get nominated in the next few years.

If you take the 10 most deserving, you may get 5 old timers and 5 more recent, even though 3-4 of the more recent will probably get the call in the next five years. However, some of the old timers, or "controversial" players, who might not have as much support, or available stats, may never get another chance.

So, do you take more old timers, knowing that the more recent guys will get their calling soon, or do you give more credence to guys whose chances seem to hinge with this Committee?

Their response back was:

"hopefully the panel will get it right, however, this is the 21st century and there are deals made all the time eg you vote for my guy and I’ll vote for yours—etc. Hopefully we will follow the dictates of Bucko"
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Bdbop wrote:Bucko Kilroy, “pick the players that dominated the game.”
Sometimes "domination" is hard to define. It's like "changed the game" or "write the history of NFL without player X"

What is dominate?

Dominated the All-Pro/Pro Bowl rosters? If so, how many is "dominate"

Dominated on film?

Dominated the sports pages?

Opponents have quotes that say he was dominant?

Dominated statistics?

Just food for thought, One man's dominant is another man's HOVG
Last edited by JohnTurney on Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I hope for the best, bur I'll be surprised if more than two of the 15 people selected will have played before 1960.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:I hope for the best, bur I'll be surprised if more than two of the 15 people selected will have played before 1960.
which people from that era do you support rupert
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

rewing84 wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:I hope for the best, bur I'll be surprised if more than two of the 15 people selected will have played before 1960.
which people from that era do you support rupert
I think Slater will probably get nominated. The fact that Joe Horrigan is championing his cause will probably put his name on the list of 15. I would like to see the other three PFRA-endorsed candidates get in, Cliff Branch will probably be on the list due to his death earlier this year. I think Alex Karras has long been overdue for the Hall of Fame, I would like to see him get in. I would like to see Steve Sabol get in, and I think it's time we elected an official, and Art McNally is the ideal choice. Drew Pearson and Del Shofner are overdue, I would like to see both get in. For coaches I would go with Buddy Parker and Clark Shaughnessy, and as an off-the-board type choice, Pat Summerall. I think his combination of football career and long broadcasting career merits a spot in the Hall of Fame.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen