Eli Manning

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
James

Eli Manning

Post by James »

Not a HOF'er at all to me, and I'm a Giants fan. That being said, he beat the Patriots twice in the Super Bowl and keeping them from an undefeated season, taking out the Patriots in the Super Bowl is awesome!
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
sheajets

Re: Eli Manning

Post by sheajets »

bachslunch wrote:
Bryan wrote:
bachslunch wrote:Rupert, I think you’re right. Eli Manning to me isn’t a HoF QB, and without his two titles nobody would likely even consider him. He’s surely better than Jim Plunkett, but that’s decidedly no endorsement.

Unfortunately, I also think he’ll be elected eventually, though I have a feeling he’s going to wait a good while. I also predict Eli will have a very vocal contingent pushing for him to be enshrined in every rinky-dink chat forum you can think of. Which will become exceedingly tiresome.
I think Eli will eventually get in as well. Not only did he win two titles, but both times the Giants were improbable champions, and both times Eli had stellar postseasons. He was incredibly durable and, relatedly, his counting stats are pretty good (more yards/TDs than Warren Moon). If he had an MLB equivalent, it would be...Mickey Lolich?

That said, the only thing he ever led the NFL in was INTs (3 times), he is woefully short in black/gray ink, and honestly his regular season performance gives no hint of a HOF resume. Every few years Peter King writes his "Phil Simms for the HOF" column, and its an interesting comparison. Eli was far more durable, but Simms was actually consistently 'better' than Eli when taking into account their eras. Simms doesn't have Eli's counting stats and won only 1.5 titles in essence, so Eli is better in that regard. I saw that Simms earned NFL MVP (Eli never did) honors from the NEA in 1986, assuredly being the last QB ever to win an MVP award for a season in which he threw more INTs than TDs.

Eli is unique in that he won multiple titles and played without injury/war/trade for so long, yet was never really that good. Plunkett got beaten up, traded, then won with the Raiders. Earl Morrall bounced around and never consistently started. Same holds true for Blanda. Rote started, but in two leagues for multiple teams.

Tommy Thompson played only 9 years (starting for only 5), had his career interrupted by WWII, but led the NFL in passing efficiency in the years he won titles (1948 & 49). In some sense, it might be easier to argue Thompson was a HOF QB as opposed to Eli, because Thompson's career isn't one long stretch of mediocrity. More is left to the imagination.
Agreed with all this. Also, add Jack Kemp to the "two titles" list (AFL for both). He's not a HoFer, either, though one occasionally sees an unrealistically rose-colored-glasses Bills fan who pushes for him in some online venue. When they're not primping for Darryl Talley, that is.
Very good player, awesome spiderman leotard that he became known for...but I can't imagine anybody seriously talking him up as a hall of famer

He always reminded me of Sinbad
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

I think it's fairly obvious Eli Manning will be a PFHOF'r.

Wouldn't go in if I was in charge but any debating doesn't seem worth it since most would agree clearly not HOF but should see that it's a practical lock that he'll be HOF.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I think Eli is a HOVG enshrinee.

I also don't see how he doesn't get elected into the PF HOF. Titles don't mean everything, but they were of historical significance... Giants were one of the few #6 seeds to win the Super Bowl & snapped New England's 18-0 season. Eli's also thrown 362 TD passes and thrown for 56,000+ yards & 4,000+ yards in six seasons. His 27 game-winning drives and 37 fourth quarter comebacks are Top 10 all-time in each category. I also feel his name, that he's a Manning, can't hurt his case.

But of course, these are the highlights... there are also reasons why he should not be in.. all the INTs, lackluster past 3 seasons... one winning season record as a starter since 2012... his .500 career record is mediocre at best.

But I agree with most everyone... Eli is an interesting case for sure.
JWL

Post by JWL »

sluggermatt15 wrote:one winning season record as a starter since 2012... his .500 career record is mediocre at best.
One has to ask how much credit or blame should a quarterback get for wins and losses and ties and what it all means.

For several years after the 2008 season, I'd occasionally see someone online state something like, "See? Tom Brady isn't that great. The Patriots won 11 games with Matt Cassel." [Cassel won 10 as a starter but finished the other win, so people mistakenly citing 11 wins was okay with me.] That talk has largely died now.

If possible I do like to look at stuff like that. With Eli Manning it has not been possible as he has not missed any games due to injury. Until last week, Manning had only been benched for the one game in 2017.

When Peyton Manning missed the 2011 season, the Colts performance fell off a cliff. When Joe Montana missed games in the late 1980s and early 1990s, Steve Young was good enough to help the team keep winning.

When Joe Namath started for the Jets, they went 62-62-4. This record includes postseason games. When Namath did not start, the Jets went 14-29. Unless you want to say it is a small sample, the Namath case is pretty stark. When Namath did not start, the Jets were generally toast.

With Eli Manning we have nothing. We can't say, "Look at this. When Manning has missed games due to injuries or suspensions, the Giants are 2-17 but when he starts they are .500!" All we have is the Giants were .500 and it becomes easy to say, "The team is mediocre, so he is mediocre." There have been offensive line problems and defensive problems galore the past few years. There has also been very questionable coaching. But, hey, blame it on Manning.

I understand the pro-Manning argument. He won two historic Super Bowls and performed well in those postseasons.
I understand the anti-Manning argument. He never led the league in any positive stat and he probably was never a top 5 quarterback in any season.

I don't think the New York thing holds any water. Put a borderline Jet into the Hall of Fame and I might admit to New York meaning something. Until then, it doesn't work with me.
racepug

Post by racepug »

I couldn't agree with that Yahoo! sportswriter more. Funny thing is that when I've Googled "Best New York Giants QBs of all time" his name usually tops the list. Must be those two S.B. wins. . .
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Eli Manning is a tough call. He just regressed too much for me to put him in the Hall, though I support Conerly and Simms making it, knowing they wont. I will also be surprised if Tony Romo somehow makes the semifinal list for the 2022 HOF class. He could barely win a wild card game but the media loved him ...
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote:Eli Manning is a tough call. He just regressed too much for me to put him in the Hall, though I support Conerly and Simms making it, knowing they wont. I will also be surprised if Tony Romo somehow makes the semifinal list for the 2022 HOF class. He could barely win a wild card game but the media loved him ...
And I think we all know why, right? I was never particularly impressed with T.R. as an N.F.L. quarterback but I LOVE him as an analyst!
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

racepug wrote:I couldn't agree with that Yahoo! sportswriter more. Funny thing is that when I've Googled "Best New York Giants QBs of all time" his name usually tops the list. Must be those two S.B. wins. . .
I think you could argue for three guys... Eli, Phil Simms, and Charlie Conerly. Simms isn't in the HOVG, but Conerly is. Eli won two SBs, Simms one (has two rings), and Conerly's teams won one, and played in four NFL title games. I'd go with Conerly, just my opinion.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

sluggermatt15 wrote:
racepug wrote:I couldn't agree with that Yahoo! sportswriter more. Funny thing is that when I've Googled "Best New York Giants QBs of all time" his name usually tops the list. Must be those two S.B. wins. . .
I think you could argue for three guys... Eli, Phil Simms, and Charlie Conerly. Simms isn't in the HOVG, but Conerly is. Eli won two SBs, Simms one (has two rings), and Conerly's teams won one, and played in four NFL title games. I'd go with Conerly, just my opinion.
No Y. A.?