Eli Manning

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
ChrisBabcock

Eli Manning

Post by ChrisBabcock »

With Daniel Jones starting this Sunday, it is entirely conceivable that Manning has taken his last NFL snap. That being said, looking back on his career, is he HOF-worthy? I think most of us here would resoundingly say no. There's an interesting post on Football Perspective today showing the "ordinariness" of his career...
http://www.footballperspective.com/eli- ... s-and-tds/

What about HOVG? I’d still say no, but his durability was amazing and there’s those two Super Bowls. Thoughts?
sheajets

Re: Eli Manning

Post by sheajets »

He's a lock for HOVG in my mind

Not Hall of Fame though. Had two great playoff runs, some very good regular seasons. Threw a great deep ball, good in the clutch/2 min drill. Had some bad gaffes, not really a consistently accurate passer. Freakishly durable though. Incredibly unflappable.

He can still play at this level and make one more run with a team that needs a QB. New Orleans? Pitt?
Halas Hall

Post by Halas Hall »

I believe he has played more games for the New York Giants than any other player in team history.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

sheajets wrote:He's a lock for HOVG in my mind

Not Hall of Fame though. Had two great playoff runs, some very good regular seasons. Threw a great deep ball, good in the clutch/2 min drill. Had some bad gaffes, not really a consistently accurate passer. Freakishly durable though. Incredibly unflappable.

He can still play at this level and make one more run with a team that needs a QB. New Orleans? Pitt?
I think the Steelers could definitely use him. If I were the Steelers GM, I would be on the phone with the Giants about making a trade for him.

I wouldn't vote for him for the HOF, but he's definitely HOVG. That being said, I think he'll go into the HOF and pretty quickly too, probably second or third ballot. There's the two Super Bowl rings, and the whole New York thing, and the Manning mystique and his career stats are very good because he was rarely injured and played a long time. He is in the top 10 in career attempts, completions, yards and touchdown passes; he is the textbook example of a compiler. He's a slightly above average QB who slayed Goliath twice in the big game. I would be very surprised if he doesn't get in Canton within five years after becoming eligible.
Last edited by Rupert Patrick on Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Rupert, I think you’re right. Eli Manning to me isn’t a HoF QB, and without his two titles nobody would likely even consider him. He’s surely better than Jim Plunkett, but that’s decidedly no endorsement.

Unfortunately, I also think he’ll be elected eventually, though I have a feeling he’s going to wait a good while. I also predict Eli will have a very vocal contingent pushing for him to be enshrined in every rinky-dink chat forum you can think of. Which will become exceedingly tiresome.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

short answer i agree with bachs 100%
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

bachslunch wrote:Rupert, I think you’re right. Eli Manning to me isn’t a HoF QB, and without his two titles nobody would likely even consider him. He’s surely better than Jim Plunkett, but that’s decidedly no endorsement.

Unfortunately, I also think he’ll be elected eventually, though I have a feeling he’s going to wait a good while. I also predict Eli will have a very vocal contingent pushing for him to be enshrined in every rinky-dink chat forum you can think of. Which will become exceedingly tiresome.
I think Eli will eventually get in as well. Not only did he win two titles, but both times the Giants were improbable champions, and both times Eli had stellar postseasons. He was incredibly durable and, relatedly, his counting stats are pretty good (more yards/TDs than Warren Moon). If he had an MLB equivalent, it would be...Mickey Lolich?

That said, the only thing he ever led the NFL in was INTs (3 times), he is woefully short in black/gray ink, and honestly his regular season performance gives no hint of a HOF resume. Every few years Peter King writes his "Phil Simms for the HOF" column, and its an interesting comparison. Eli was far more durable, but Simms was actually consistently 'better' than Eli when taking into account their eras. Simms doesn't have Eli's counting stats and won only 1.5 titles in essence, so Eli is better in that regard. I saw that Simms earned NFL MVP (Eli never did) honors from the NEA in 1986, assuredly being the last QB ever to win an MVP award for a season in which he threw more INTs than TDs.

Eli is unique in that he won multiple titles and played without injury/war/trade for so long, yet was never really that good. Plunkett got beaten up, traded, then won with the Raiders. Earl Morrall bounced around and never consistently started. Same holds true for Blanda. Rote started, but in two leagues for multiple teams.

Tommy Thompson played only 9 years (starting for only 5), had his career interrupted by WWII, but led the NFL in passing efficiency in the years he won titles (1948 & 49). In some sense, it might be easier to argue Thompson was a HOF QB as opposed to Eli, because Thompson's career isn't one long stretch of mediocrity. More is left to the imagination.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Bryan wrote:
bachslunch wrote:Rupert, I think you’re right. Eli Manning to me isn’t a HoF QB, and without his two titles nobody would likely even consider him. He’s surely better than Jim Plunkett, but that’s decidedly no endorsement.

I think Eli will eventually get in as well. Not only did he win two titles, but both times the Giants were improbable champions, and both times Eli had stellar postseasons. He was incredibly durable and, relatedly, his counting stats are pretty good (more yards/TDs than Warren Moon). If he had an MLB equivalent, it would be...Mickey Lolich?

That said, the only thing he ever led the NFL in was INTs (3 times), he is woefully short in black/gray ink, and honestly his regular season performance gives no hint of a HOF resume. Every few years Peter King writes his "Phil Simms for the HOF" column, and its an interesting comparison. Eli was far more durable, but Simms was actually consistently 'better' than Eli when taking into account their eras. Simms doesn't have Eli's counting stats and won only 1.5 titles in essence, so Eli is better in that regard. I saw that Simms earned NFL MVP (Eli never did) honors from the NEA in 1986, assuredly being the last QB ever to win an MVP award for a season in which he threw more INTs than TDs.

Eli is unique in that he won multiple titles and played without injury/war/trade for so long, yet was never really that good. Plunkett got beaten up, traded, then won with the Raiders. Earl Morrall bounced around and never consistently started. Same holds true for Blanda. Rote started, but in two leagues for multiple teams.

Tommy Thompson played only 9 years (starting for only 5), had his career interrupted by WWII, but led the NFL in passing efficiency in the years he won titles (1948 & 49). In some sense, it might be easier to argue Thompson was a HOF QB as opposed to Eli, because Thompson's career isn't one long stretch of mediocrity. More is left to the imagination.
Agreed with all this. Also, add Jack Kemp to the "two titles" list (AFL for both). He's not a HoFer, either, though one occasionally sees an unrealistically rose-colored-glasses Bills fan who pushes for him in some online venue. When they're not primping for Darryl Talley, that is.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

bachslunch wrote:Agreed with all this. Also, add Jack Kemp to the "two titles" list (AFL for both). He's not a HoFer, either, though one occasionally sees an unrealistically rose-colored-glasses Bills fan who pushes for him in some online venue. When they're not primping for Darryl Talley, that is.
Forgot about Jack Kemp, and he is probably the best NFL/AFL comp to Eli Manning.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

(Just for completeness sake, and because I'm a fan) Tobin Rote actually started in three leagues (NFL, CFL, AFL).

I agree with the consensus that Eli Manning is probably not worthy of the Hall of Fame but will wind up there eventually based on name recognition, Super Bowl performances and because New York....

I would, depending on the competition, probably vote to include him in the Hall of (the) Very Good.

Interesting article from Yahoo regarding same:
https://sports.yahoo.com/no-eli-manning ... 06042.html