Eric Berry

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
rebelx24

Eric Berry

Post by rebelx24 »

A lot of posts lately about guys with short careers and their respective legacies. Berry remains unsigned and there’s a possibility that he never plays another down. If he’s done, does he have a shot at the HOF? He’s certainly not a lock, but he was definitely one of the best safeties of the 2010’s (good chance he ends up on the all-decade team). Three-time first team all-pro, five pro bowls, a number of playoff games. An extremely effective player when he was on the field, really tied the Chiefs defenses together. Maybe sort of a poor man’s Kenny Easley.

What are you guys’ opinions on him?
bachslunch

Re: Eric Berry

Post by bachslunch »

If Eric Berry (3/5/10s?) is indeed done, his career definitely does look rather like Kenny Easley's (4/5/80s). Both had their careers adversely affected by health issues, too.

I'd probably put him him the HoF, but you've go to be okay with short career/high peak at the position. And it also helps that there isn't a lot of competition at the position for the time. The best is probably Earl Thomas (5/6/10?), and Eric Weddle (4/6/10s?) is in the conversation here as well -- but Berry is at worst 3rd on the depth chart here.

If Berry can put up even a couple more healthy, pedestrian years, it would sure help his case. Hope he can.
sheajets

Re: Eric Berry

Post by sheajets »

Berry is a total coin flip to me. Though if I had to draw the line, he'd have to make a 4th all pro to be Hall of Fame. Fragmented career due to injuries...but when he plays he's great

Weddle is HOVG.

Earl Thomas may yet acquire HOF credentials, still has some time left in his career...but I never saw him as quite as good as his credentials. His image and reputation was enhanced by being part of the LOB and a successful Seattle franchise that became more visible team on the NFL landscape. Never seen him as great for noticeably long stretches. He's a clear cut below Polamalu, Dawkins, and of course Ed Reed. Not sure he'll ever be HOF caliber with me when it comes to passing the eye test