Carroll Rosenbloom

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
sluggermatt15

Re: Carroll Rosenbloom

Post by sluggermatt15 »

sheajets wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote:Going by what has been said, Rosenbloom and Ewbank should both be in the PF HoF. So what if they aren't as decorated as some of the other coaches and executives? The 1958 Champ Game was a turning point in football history. That needs to be honored.

That Colts team was pretty darn good on both sides of the ball. I think many football fans don't even know about them... or who Weeb Ewbank is.

But anyway, it's an interesting thread. 8-)
Ewbank is in. Inducted in 1978

I remember being at the 1993 Jets/Bengals game which paid tribute to the 1968 team (25th anniversary) at the half and many people in the stands reacted with shock when Weeb Ewbank was brought out in a golf cart. They couldn't believe he was still alive
Thanks, I missed that.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

One of the retrospectives on the 58 title game indicated that Unitas assessed before that final play that the Giants would be looking for an Ameche plunge to the left in order to get the ball in line with the hashmarks. Therefore, he went right and Ameche won it.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

sluggermatt15 wrote:
sheajets wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote:Going by what has been said, Rosenbloom and Ewbank should both be in the PF HoF. So what if they aren't as decorated as some of the other coaches and executives? The 1958 Champ Game was a turning point in football history. That needs to be honored.

That Colts team was pretty darn good on both sides of the ball. I think many football fans don't even know about them... or who Weeb Ewbank is.

But anyway, it's an interesting thread. 8-)
Ewbank is in. Inducted in 1978

I remember being at the 1993 Jets/Bengals game which paid tribute to the 1968 team (25th anniversary) at the half and many people in the stands reacted with shock when Weeb Ewbank was brought out in a golf cart. They couldn't believe he was still alive
Thanks, I missed that.
Also was a game that the Jets executed an intentional safety to try and end the game but were called for a hold and still needed to dropkick with Cinci getting the 2pts.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thats the beauty of Weeb ... in his famous pre game speech before the 58 NFL Championship game, he pointed out Steve Myhra in front of the club as having a terrible year and told him he needed to kick the balls through, then had enough faith in him to let him tie the game in the last few minutes ...

Weeb built champions from the ground up and got the ultimate revenge beating Rosenbloom in the SB. Personally, I dont believe Carroll should make the HOF, especially trading the Colts for the Rams but if he does, why not put in Sonny Werblin of the Jets, who knew what a monster Pro Football would become and helped bring about the merger ?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Brian wolf wrote:Personally, I dont believe Carroll should make the HOF, especially trading the Colts for the Rams but if he does, why not put in Sonny Werblin of the Jets, who knew what a monster Pro Football would become and helped bring about the merger ?
Modern day owners getting into the HOF baffles me, but I've always thought that Georgia Frontiere had a more interesting HOF resume than Rosenbloom.