Larry Fitzgerald

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
74_75_78_79_

Larry Fitzgerald

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

First-Ballot?

Or will lack of All-Pros make him have to wait a bit?
rebelx24

Re: Larry Fitzgerald

Post by rebelx24 »

I'm guessing it'll be the second option. Really hard for any receiver not named Jerry Rice to make it in first ballot.
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:First-Ballot?

Or will lack of All-Pros make him have to wait a bit?

Fitzgerald won't have to wait long, he wasn't a troublemaker, or failed to give his best effort. He's kind of a throwback in another way,it appears he'll finish his career as a Cardinal. may get in before Calvin Johnson does.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... tzLa00.htm

11 pro-bowls, 1 all-pro.
He led the NFL in receptions twice in 2005 and 2016 and TDs twice in 2008 and 2009.

So he was in (roughly) the top 3-6 (?) receivers in the league for a little over a decade.

As importantly and as stated above, he was a good teammate and contributed in ways that prima donnas
won't or can't.
Depending on the competition at the time I would have no problem voting for him on a first ballot.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Larry Fitzgerald certainly will have no problem getting into the HoF. Whether he’ll be first ballot or not is a good question. He may not be, though agreed he won’t wait long. And am thinking he’s got the best chance of any post-Rice WR to get that distinction.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

A lock for the Hall no doubt. If Fitzgerald is not a first ballot electee, he'll be elected in shortly thereafter.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I always viewed Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson as being the best WRs of their generation.

Some guy compiled 'drop percentages' of every WR since the 1980's, and Fitzgerald had the lowest of all-time at 2%. Jerry Rice was next lowest at 3.5%, most of the other great WRs were around 4% or 5%, Terrell Owens was the highest guy listed at 9%. I can't say how accurate this data is, but it was amazing to me how much better Fitzgerald's percentage was compared to everyone else. The guy did have great hands. He made several bad QBs appear to be good throughout his collegiate and NFL career.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Class act all the way. And I'll point out (and I'm a HUGE Steve Largent fan) that Steve Largent was named first team All-Pro only once in his distinguished career and he went in on the first ballot ('course, he held several league records when he retired, too, which probably had something to do with that).