If both Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning end up making Canton...

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
74_75_78_79_

If both Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning end up making Canton...

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

...or if both make Hall of Very Good instead - which of the two gets in first?
L.C. Greenwood

Re: If both Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning end up making Canto

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:...or if both make Hall of Very Good instead - which of the two gets in first?
It won't be popular, but Eli Manning will eventually reach Canton. Tom Coughlin's W/L record is only 20 games over .500, so that may put him in the VG category.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

If Coughlin is looked upon as a longer tenured Flores type it will hurt him. But if you drill down a bit you'll see that he's pretty deserving. I think the magnitude of the 2007 SB upset helps him immensely. 2012 the Patriots while outstanding were lucky to be there after what transpired vs. Baltimore in the AFC Championship Game. Still he did a terrific job pulling that team together from 7-7 and won two very tough playoff games on the road. Plus he did a great job with the young Jaguars and had that impressive 30-27 Divisional Playoff win against the Broncos at Mile High (the last game they'd play in their classic uniforms) a game that they trailed 12-0 after the 1st quarter.

He's this generations Weeb Ewbank.

Eli Manning will end up with HOVG stats but will get in on the strength of two Super Bowl MVP's and the size of the market he played in. He was a good clutch QB and very durable. The silly int bugaboo never quite went away but he's forgiven for that.

Eli gets in first. The Mara's will eventually go to bat for Coughlin.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Not First Ballot, but Eli will make Canton; and before Coughlin does (if he ever does at all) although I feel Coughlin is more worthy. Fair or not (not) Eli is a QB for a big market, won two SBs against Hoodie/Brady (the first of the two averting a 19-0 season), and finally...has that last name.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I think Eli. He'll get into the PFHOF eventually. Maybe not right away like Peyton, Brees, Brady will. But Eli will be in.
racepug

Post by racepug »

I hope Eli Manning never makes it. I don't think Jim Plunkett deserves to make it to the P.F.H.o.F. and he has just as many S.B. rings as Eli does.