Jeff Saturday, James Harrison

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
74_75_78_79_

Jeff Saturday, James Harrison

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Both are two-time first-team All Pros. Jeff a six-time Pro Bowler, James a five-timer. Either one HOF or HOVG?
ChrisBabcock

Re: Jeff Saturday, James Harrison

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Just a gut reaction, not digging into their careers too deeply...
Saturday - HOF
Harrison - HOVG
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

ChrisBabcock wrote:Just a gut reaction, not digging into their careers too deeply...
Saturday - HOF
Harrison - HOVG
One thing that I think might help Harrison a little is his pick six at the end of the first half of Super Bowl XLIII which has to rank as one of ten most incredible plays in pro football history. Also an AP Defensive Player of the Year in the same season, and two Super Bowl rings. His peak was short 2007-11 as a consensus all-pro but his career was long.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

HOtVG for me on both. Saturday may have a slight edge because of a relative lack of competition at his position, but I'm not really sold on either for the HoF.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

As far as I know Harrison isn't done yet.

Another Super Bowl on his resume (not entirely impossible) wouldn't hurt his chances at Canton.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... rrJa23.htm
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

I think they're both HOVG personally. My prediction is that Saturday gets in via the John Stallworth route after Marvin Harrison, Tony Dungy and the host of the ESPY's whine about him not getting in for a few years. Keep in mind we're entering the era of legitimately totally useless Pro Bowl votes, where Saturday was credited with one in a season he was benched for ineffectiveness.

Harrison would require a really meaningful contribution this year - better thethann either of the last two or a Syper Bowl win as a serious contributor to get in. Then the Blanca card would be available to him. I have to say, he's up there on my favorite players of all time to watch.
JWL

Post by JWL »

I think Saturday is a HOG or HOVG type of player. I don't actually have my own personal Halls (yet) but if I did I would have one-man arguments with myself as to whether Saturday belongs in my HOG or HOVG.

Harrison is right on the line between HOVG and HOF. We do the game of "That guy is already in and this guy was better than that guy" a lot and maybe it is not fair, but Jerome Bettis is in and I think Harrison is/was a better player than Bettis.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Sort of odd though comparing Harrison to a Running Back. Harrison to me had ~3HOF seasons, 3~HOVG seasons and a bunch of other good seasons, feels very very HOVG to me. It is a shame that he'll be compared to Ware and given a demerit based on sack numbers when their responsibilities were so markedly different, though the average hall voter won't contemplate that even 34 OLB's can have different responsibilities. Hecl, Harrison's most famous play is one Ware could never make as he literally never dropped into coverage.
JWL

Post by JWL »

NWebster wrote:Sort of odd though comparing Harrison to a Running Back.
Comparing the white receiver to the white receiver or the running back to the running back or the safety to the safety gets old after a while. Sometimes you just want to compare a punter to a left guard.

To be totally serious now, and I was partially serious in the above two sentences, Jerome Bettis was the most recent Hall of Famer who popped in my head as far as questionable Hall members. The fact that he spent most of his career with Pittsburgh like Harrison was not a consideration for my comparison.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

JWL wrote: Comparing the white receiver to the white receiver....
White or Wide??
I'm hoping that was an auto-correct...