Derrick Mason - HOVG?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
sheajets

Derrick Mason - HOVG?

Post by sheajets »

Definitely not Hall of Fame.

HOVG? I'd say he's a lock. Very good production for long stretches. Into his mid 30's he was still very effective. Also had some success on special teams returning kicks/punts during the early to mid part of his career. Gets kind of lost in the shuffle since he played in an era where we had a lot of big productive receivers which he was definitely a cut below.

Never played with anyone that resembled a top level QB. Nor was he ever in a super pass happy offense. 8 seasons of 1,000+ yards. Never had that monster 1,400+ yard season. Only cracked 100 catches once
conace21

Re: Derrick Mason - HOVG?

Post by conace21 »

sheajets wrote:Definitely not Hall of Fame.

HOVG? I'd say he's a lock. Very good production for long stretches. Into his mid 30's he was still very effective. Also had some success on special teams returning kicks/punts during the early to mid part of his career. Gets kind of lost in the shuffle since he played in an era where we had a lot of big productive receivers which he was definitely a cut below.

Never played with anyone that resembled a top level QB. Nor was he ever in a super pass happy offense. 8 seasons of 1,000+ yards. Never had that monster 1,400+ yard season. Only cracked 100 catches once
I'd say Steve McNair definitely resembled a top level QB in 2003. He was co-MVP and 2nd Team All Pro. Tennessee didn't throw the ball a lot that year (22nd in attempts) but they were very good when they did so (3rd in yards and 2nd in touchdown passes.)
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

hovg is good enough for me
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I think Mason is arguable for HOVG. He is in the same class of other receivers during his time - Hines Ward, Muhsin Muhammad, Anquan Boldin, etc. - that could also be HOVG worthy as well.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

sluggermatt15 wrote:I think Mason is arguable for HOVG. He is in the same class of other receivers during his time - Hines Ward, Muhsin Muhammad, Anquan Boldin, etc. - that could also be HOVG worthy as well.
Boldin is a HOVG lock to me. Very underappreciated and always productive. Even well into his 30's . 9th all time in receptions

He had a few monster seasons suppressed due to missing a few games. 2008 he had 89 catches for 1038 yards...in only 12 games. 2007 he had 71 catches for 853....12 games again
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

sheajets wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote:I think Mason is arguable for HOVG. He is in the same class of other receivers during his time - Hines Ward, Muhsin Muhammad, Anquan Boldin, etc. - that could also be HOVG worthy as well.
Boldin is a HOVG lock to me. Very underappreciated and always productive. Even well into his 30's . 9th all time in receptions

He had a few monster seasons suppressed due to missing a few games. 2008 he had 89 catches for 1038 yards...in only 12 games. 2007 he had 71 catches for 853....12 games again
second that about boldin and hovg
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I agree about Boldin. He will be elected in the HOVG. Doesn't seem like he's receiving PFHOF love.

I think Mason has a good chance of HOVG election as well. Same for Hines Ward. He also has not been elected to the PFHOF. Easily the Steelers' second best receiver this century, behind AB... maybe even dating to Stallworth and Swann.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Both Mason and Boldin are HOVG, and hopefully will be elected in their first try.
Last edited by Gary Najman on Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Derrick Mason doesn't scream anything higher than Hall of Good to me.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Mason and Muhammad are about the same based on the numbers, I'd say. Though Mason had the benefit of catching passes from Steve McNair. Jake Delhomme was okay but never on the same level as McNair. Mason was McNair's favorite target. I think Delhomme tended to favor Steve Smith over Muhammad.