2019 Obituaries

Re: 2019 Obituaries

Postby Rupert Patrick » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:10 pm

James wrote:Hall of Famer Nick Buoniconti

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... dies-at-78


Great player, and he did a lot of good work with his paralysis charity he set up after his son's injury, but I lost a lot of respect for him when he became a spokesperson for the Tobacco industry. I remember watching a segment on 60 Minutes about a number of teenagers dying of mouth cancer after using chewing tobacco and he was claiming there was no scientific evidence their cancers were due to tobacco use.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
User avatar
Rupert Patrick
 
Posts: 1666
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:53 pm
Location: Upstate SC

Re: 2019 Obituaries

Postby Reaser » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:48 am

Rupert Patrick wrote:Great player, and he did a lot of good work with his paralysis charity he set up after his son's injury, but I lost a lot of respect for him when he became a spokesperson for the Tobacco industry. I remember watching a segment on 60 Minutes about a number of teenagers dying of mouth cancer after using chewing tobacco and he was claiming there was no scientific evidence their cancers were due to tobacco use.


HBO had a documentary on him earlier this year, "The Many Lives of Nick Buoniconti", that covered a lot of that.
Reaser
 
Posts: 1310
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:58 am
Location: WA

Re: 2019 Obituaries

Postby Rupert Patrick » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:17 am

Reaser wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:Great player, and he did a lot of good work with his paralysis charity he set up after his son's injury, but I lost a lot of respect for him when he became a spokesperson for the Tobacco industry. I remember watching a segment on 60 Minutes about a number of teenagers dying of mouth cancer after using chewing tobacco and he was claiming there was no scientific evidence their cancers were due to tobacco use.


HBO had a documentary on him earlier this year, "The Many Lives of Nick Buoniconti", that covered a lot of that.


I don't have HBO but only became aware of the documentary yesterday with his death. As luck would have it, this documentary is up on the youtube, so I'll watch it as he was a terrific player and I remember him more from "Inside the NFL" than from his playing career.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
User avatar
Rupert Patrick
 
Posts: 1666
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:53 pm
Location: Upstate SC

Re: 2019 Obituaries

Postby Shipley » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:28 pm

A Facebook page dedicated to the Pottstown Firebirds is reporting that former Broncos, Chicago Fire and Firebird wide receiver Jack Dolbin has died. Haven't been able to find an obit, probably because it may have just happened.
Shipley
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:58 pm

Re: 2019 Obituaries

Postby BD Sullivan » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:18 pm

James wrote:Hall of Famer Nick Buoniconti

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... dies-at-78


Sadly, his teammate Jim Kiick, has also been dealing with dementia. This SI article from two years ago showed he was already in bad shape:

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/09/jim- ... ted-living
BD Sullivan
 
Posts: 2034
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: 2019 Obituaries

Postby bquinn » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:40 am

Shipley wrote:A Facebook page dedicated to the Pottstown Firebirds is reporting that former Broncos, Chicago Fire and Firebird wide receiver Jack Dolbin has died. Haven't been able to find an obit, probably because it may have just happened.


See here: https://www.fettermanevents.com/dolbin? ... E_jyNv8xK8
bquinn
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:39 am

Cliff Branch gone

Postby JohnTurney » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:59 pm

JohnTurney
 
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:28 pm

Re: 2019 Obituaries

Postby Eagles One » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:15 pm

Dave Parks, former split end, tight end and wide receiver with the San Francisco 49ers, New Orleans Saints and Houston Oilers died on August 8th, at the age of 77:


https://www.lubbockonline.com/news/2019 ... dies-at-77
Last edited by Eagles One on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eagles One
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:12 am

Re: 2019 Obituaries

Postby Eagles One » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:37 am

Darryl Drake, NFL wide receiver coach, Steelers, died on August 11th, at the age of 62:


https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/st ... li=BBnbfcL
Eagles One
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:12 am

Re: 2019 Obituaries

Postby TodMaher » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:45 pm

Eagles One wrote:Dave Parks, former split end, tight end and wide receiver with the San Francisco 49ers, New Orleans Saints and Houston Oilers died on July 8th, at the age of 77:


https://www.lubbockonline.com/news/2019 ... dies-at-77

He died on August 8th not July 8th.
TodMaher
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:43 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Football Obituaries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron