Newton cut

racepug

Newton cut

Post by racepug »

Cam Newton has been released from the Patriots. Is anyone surprised? Personally, I wouldn't sign Cam Newton to play for my team even if he were willing to play for nothing.
74_75_78_79_

Re: Newton cut

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I, wrongly, was thinking he'd have himself a resurgence in NE. But if it couldn't happen under...Belichick, then it really doesn't look good from here. It's not like he's not young enough.

Had those 15-1 Panthers won that darn Super Bowl, the current disappointment at-hand for him wouldn't be as glaring. Yes, Carolina had their weaknesses, and Denver did indeed have the defense, but overall it seemed that Carolina going in should have had enough to avert being exposed to the point of actually losing.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I always liked Newton until he didn't dive for that fumble in the Super Bowl. Always rubbed me the wrong way. It's not like he was falling on a grenade.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

That whole SB smelled fishy to me ... I always wondered how the Carolina defensive players felt about Newton's performance in that game ? At least they showed up.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Yeah, he clearly had given up at that point in the game.

I am really surprised by this. Maybe the Patriots just want to focus on developing a young leader.

As for Cam, you know sometimes in sports a championship loss really pushes a star to get better and then really excel (LeBron in basketball is the first player I can think of). After the Super Bowl, I really thought Cam was going to be like that but his career appears to have fizzled now.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:As for Cam, you know sometimes in sports a championship loss really pushes a star to get better and then really excel (LeBron in basketball is the first player I can think of). After the Super Bowl, I really thought Cam was going to be like that but his career appears to have fizzled now.
I think that Super Bowl and that Panther season was the best it was going to get for Newton. He was never a great passer, even in college, but his physical skills made him effective. In some sense, I think he overachieved in the NFL because that run/pass spread college QB isn't the best model for NFL success. The year the Panthers went 15-1, it was like the 1968 Colts marching to the title; they were so good that you figured the Super Bowl was a given. It was Carolina's and Newton's year that year. I was very surprised when they lost to Denver.

I don't think Newton's skills paired well with New England's offense. As others have said, it seemed like he got so beat up in that Super Bowl loss to Denver, his career was never the same. Perhaps it was just the natural deterioration of Newton's physical ability; perhaps there was a "Jim Everett" quality to it, I really don't know.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Good point that he may have just started to break down physically and age caught up with him. Maybe he'll sign on as a backup somewhere, but it's difficult seeing him wanting that role. Perhaps a job will open through injury. Maybe the Cowboys if Dak isn't as healthy as the team lets on. Or maybe Cam's career is over.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:Good point that he may have just started to break down physically and age caught up with him. Maybe he'll sign on as a backup somewhere, but it's difficult seeing him wanting that role. Perhaps a job will open through injury. Maybe the Cowboys if Dak isn't as healthy as the team lets on. Or maybe Cam's career is over.
I think he's done. Sure, his vaccination status (unvaccinated), exposure to COVID, and not being available because of quarantine might have just been an excuse to get rid of him, but don't be surprised if more than one player this year is shown the door because he refuses to get vaccinated but then isn't able to play because of quarantine. Multi-billion dollar businesses just can't afford to have unreliable, multi-million-dollar employees (by the employee's own choosing). Choosing not to get vaccinated at this point is like a death sentence (for their careers) for some of these guys.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
racepug

Post by racepug »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:Maybe he'll sign on as a backup somewhere, but it's difficult seeing him wanting that role.
I think "Superman" has already made it clear that he's not interested in going anywhere where he won't be starting. Maybe that's why Belichick got rid of him (if he truly does believe that Mac Jones is the better option).
Lee Elder

Post by Lee Elder »

For what it is worth, the Patriots did not cut Newton for his performance in the Super Bowl.

Without being at practice every day, I could only watch the NE pre-season games on TV. The coaching staff obviously determined that Jones played well enough to start. Once that decision was made, Newton's contract probably became part of the roster-trimming conversations. That's how it works in the NFL.

I thought Newton played reasonably well in the pre-season and assumed that he would open the season as the starter. However, I don't have any Super Bowl Rings. Bill Belichick has many. He is probably a better judge than I am.