Predictions for "Team of the Decade"

7DnBrnc53

Predictions for "Team of the Decade"

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

On You Tube, someone posted the halftime from the opening TNT Sunday Night game for the 1990 season (Eagles-Giants). The hosts were talking about who will be the Team of the 90's, and Kevin Kiley said that it will be the Cowboys. He liked the team that Jimmy Johnson was putting together (particularly the speed that he was accumulating).

After that, Craig Sager said something about how SPORT Magazine said that Atlanta would be the team of the 80's.
Bryan

Re: Predictions for "Team of the Decade"

Post by Bryan »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:On You Tube, someone posted the halftime from the opening TNT Sunday Night game for the 1990 season (Eagles-Giants). The hosts were talking about who will be the Team of the 90's, and Kevin Kiley said that it will be the Cowboys. He liked the team that Jimmy Johnson was putting together (particularly the speed that he was accumulating).

After that, Craig Sager said something about how SPORT Magazine said that Atlanta would be the team of the 80's.
NFL Films did a "Hungriest Man of the 90's" video after the 1989 season, and in it they predicted that the teams of the 90's would be the Detroit Lions (Run and Shoot offense) and the Atlanta Falcons (Jerry Glanville as coach).
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Bryan wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:On You Tube, someone posted the halftime from the opening TNT Sunday Night game for the 1990 season (Eagles-Giants). The hosts were talking about who will be the Team of the 90's, and Kevin Kiley said that it will be the Cowboys. He liked the team that Jimmy Johnson was putting together (particularly the speed that he was accumulating).

NFL Films did a "Hungriest Man of the 90's" video after the 1989 season, and in it they predicted that the teams of the 90's would be the Detroit Lions (Run and Shoot offense) and the Atlanta Falcons (Jerry Glanville as coach).
Yeah, there were people high on Detroit because of Sanders, the five game winning streak to end 89, and the drafting of Andre Ware. There was a football preview issue in 1990 that wrote a futuristic story ten years ahead after the Lions won five SB's.

As for the 80's, I wonder who people had as the team dominating that decade at the start. The Falcons may have been a candidate, but I wonder if San Diego also would have been (even though they had some older guys at some positions, namely OL).
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

[/quote]
Yeah, there were people high on Detroit because of Sanders, the five game winning streak to end 89, and the drafting of Andre Ware. There was a football preview issue in 1990 that wrote a futuristic story ten years ahead after the Lions won five SB's. [/quote]

Who knew that Ray Bradbury covered football?
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Well, we're already 2 seasons into the 2020's and they have a pretty decent head start but does anyone else think the Chief's will be the team of this decade?

Who would be the other contenders?
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

It's probably been since the 1950s when you would have correctly predicted the team of the decade after two seasons.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I think the Buccaneers will be the 2020s’ “team of the decade”, but in the way of the ’90s Cowboys - doing all their work within the first half. I think they’ll win again this year and post at least one more shortly thereafter if not three-peat in ’22. No other team will win three Lombardis this decade thus TB (even if they’re now bad and without Brady & Arians by decade’s end) will be anointed such a title. Just my prediction.

KC? Although remaining a great regular-season team for at least a little while longer as Mahomes continues being the playmaker he’s been, I have a feeling that it may be awhile until we see them return to the SB if at all in Mahomes’ career. Look at Brees, Rodgers, and also - now - Russell Wilson? It’s hard for great QBs to make it back right away sometimes. And the Bucs may have very well written a book on the Chiefs for the whole league to now read. We’ll see.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I knew with Johnson that the Cowboys would be an up and coming team for the 90s but who would have thought that Parcells and Gibbs would have retired so early in the decade though Parcells would join the AFC soon-after ?

Could we imagine the battles those three coaches and their teams would have had ? When Johnson joined Parcells later in the AFC East, that division had intense competition as well.
Terry Baldshaw

Post by Terry Baldshaw »

The Browns.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I remember the Herschel trade and knowing what a coach like Jimmy would do with that talent. When Dallas-fan peers were saying "Dallas, Team of the '90s", despite the 1-15 they were going through, I actually believed. Couldn't necessarily "enjoy" Jerry getting "punished" by Karma for firing Landry. And when Jimmy with such convincing confidence and swagger after the Turkey Day "Bounty Bowl" said at the post-game presser, (maybe paraphrasing) "Our Day will come", I believed it!

Both having actually HC-ed against each other in '69, I believe Vince Lombardi pretty much predicted that Noll's Steelers had quite a future. I think he said "Team of the '70s", but not sure.

"Team of the '80s" by the time SBXIV was in the books? If my Street & Smith '80 preview is any proper indication, I would imagine most of the 'experts' assumed the Steelers would keep on keeping on due to Noll never getting complacent/satisfied. Noll never would, but his players would still get older and new additions at least relatively less-talented than the prior decade and it, sadly, all caught up.