30th anniversary of first WLAF games

Dusty Sloan

30th anniversary of first WLAF games

Post by Dusty Sloan »

30 years ago today, when I was just 14 years old, a new professional football league played its first 3 games. It was the first intercontinental football league, and there were games that day in Frankfurt, Germany; Birmingham, Ala., and Sacramento, Calif.

The World League of American Football was a big part of my football education and fandom. This unique spring football league allowed a young teenager to watch even more football and become the alternative football researcher/nut he is today!
Mark L Ford

Re: 30th anniversary of first WLAF games

Post by Mark L Ford »

What I liked about the WLAF was that the USA Network telecasts included an innovation that, unfortunately, didn't become a standard in pro football-- the helmet cam (usually on an offensive lineman) that gave the viewer a player's point of view as it happened. This was spectacular to see in 1991 on our relatively small TV sets. It would be great to see that in high-definition on a modern 55-inch flatscreen.
Gary Najman

Re: 30th anniversary of first WLAF games

Post by Gary Najman »

I liked very much the helmet cam and also the intro in the Sunday games on ABC (with the Big Ben in London and the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona). One surprise was seeing former Saints DE Bruce Clark with the Barcelona Dragons and the league oldest player at 34 years old.