Trivia - Unique Facts About Consecutive Super Bowls

GameBeforeTheMoney

Re: Trivia - Unique Facts About Consecutive Super Bowls

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Well, 5 and and 6 saw the team that lost the Super Bowl win the next year. (Dallas lost SB 5 and won SB 6. Miami lost SB 6 and won SB 7.)

I think 13 and 14 were the first two SBs to feature 300-yard passing games by the winning quarterback; both times it was Terry Bradshaw. If memory serves correct, SB 13 was the first time a QB threw for 300 yards.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Whats funny about SBs 13 and 14, was Bradshaw being voted MVP despite three turnovers each game. I think Swann, then Stallworth should have had those awards.
GameBeforeTheMoney

A really good point there.

Swann played a major part in that victory by drawing the PI (I hear Cowboy fans gritting their teeth -- but simply pointing out that it was called) and then scoring that huge TD. Bleier would have been a good choice, too, because his TD at the end of the first half was really important and he recovered the Cowboys last onside kick. I think the fact that Bradshaw was the first QB to throw for over 300 yards in the Super Bowl -- that was probably the deciding factor but you're right, Swann was a real hero for Pittsburgh that day. Stallworth had a big game, too.

Stallworth made that incredible catch in 14. Bradshaw made one of the best throws of his career on that play, though. Swann also had a big game, and I think Franco Harris scored a couple of touchdowns.

And we haven't even discussed their defensive players who could have been in the SB MVP discussion on those games. Certainly Mel Blount in 13. That just goes to show how many great individual efforts went into the Steeler team victories.

Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good call Game ... even in SB 10, had it not been Swann, Bradshaw or LC Greenwood could have been MVP against Dallas ...
superbowlfanatic

Post by superbowlfanatic »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:Well, 5 and and 6 saw the team that lost the Super Bowl win the next year. (Dallas lost SB 5 and won SB 6. Miami lost SB 6 and won SB 7.)

I think 13 and 14 were the first two SBs to feature 300-yard passing games by the winning quarterback; both times it was Terry Bradshaw. If memory serves correct, SB 13 was the first time a QB threw for 300 yards.
Well, you've uncovered a new one. But my post is not first's, it's unique's, and your criteria is not included in my remaining clues. So to include your fact it would have to be: only consecutive Super Bowls where same winning QB passed for 300+ yards. (Montana came within 3 passing yards for making this not unique). I'll add yours to the original post.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Sorry I jumped in thinking that firsts were part of the topic. Thankfully, I accidently uncovered the Bradshaw fact. I would have thought that perhaps other quarterbacks would have done that by now.

Here's a guess for Super Bowl 43 and 44: Only consecutive SBs with pick 6s by the winning team? I haven't gone through all the box scores, but that might be the only time that's happened.

superbowlfanatic

Brian wolf wrote:Whats funny about SBs 13 and 14, was Bradshaw being voted MVP despite three turnovers each game. I think Swann, then Stallworth should have had those awards.
I believe that Bradshaw (3 in SB 14) and Mahomes (2 in SB 54) are the only 2 QB's to be named Super Bowl MVP in games where they each threw multiple interceptions.
superbowlfanatic

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:Here's a guess for Super Bowl 43 and 44: Only consecutive SBs with pick 6s by the winning team? I haven't gone through all the box scores, but that might be the only time that's happened.
That's good thinking, and a very good try. But it's not unique.
Super Bowls 35 (Duane Starks), 36 (Ty Law), and 37 (Dwight Smith & Derrick Brooks) make 3 games in a row with pick-sixes by winning teams.

Additionally to your point, SB 45 (Nick Collins) had a pick-six, so that completes a second set of 3 consecutive pick-six Super Bowls. That is indeed a neat coincidence, but does not fit my criteria.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Super Bowls XIV and XV: Two brothers (Matt Bahr - Steelers and Chris Bahr - Raiders) kicking and scoring points for the winning team.
superbowlfanatic

Teo wrote:Super Bowls XIV and XV: Two brothers (Matt Bahr - Steelers and Chris Bahr - Raiders) kicking and scoring points for the winning team.
Correct! Nice job!