COWBOYS vs Bengals SBXVI at Pontiac, 1/24/82

Jay Z

Re: COWBOYS vs Bengals SBXVI at Pontiac, 1/24/82

Post by Jay Z »

racepug wrote:I have no idea but my guess is that Tom Landry would've found a way to get his team a win against the upstart Bengals that year had they had the opportunity. I thank the San Francisco 49ers all the time for keeping us from ever having to find out.
With Landry, the game would be close. If they were behind, the Cowboys would come up with some trick to catch up. If they were ahead, Landry would get cute, they'd dink around, pass coverage would let the other team move down the field. Close either way! :D
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Munoz was young but a great matchup against Harvey Martin, who I believe should be in the HOF ...
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Yeah, I totally feel for Lewis Billips....the Mike Torrez of football? Sad to see a good career remembered for something like that......

Winning championships -- gotta have a great team but it does take a little luck as well....

What really always made me wonder about the Bengals in 23 and if they would have won is if Krumrie had played the full game....I know the Billips pick would have finished the game but what if Krumrie played the whole game....if I remember right, that injury happened pretty early, and he was an excellent player....always wondered how that affected the rest of the game -- Bengals having to adjust def line play, if they might have gotten more pressure on Montana late or got a third down stop at some point in the game to stop a scoring drive....Cincy had a real chance to win that game -- not just how it played out but they were a good, solid team....
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Looking back at the 88/89 SB, Billups could have ended the game, similiar to Asante Samuel in the 07/08 SB but Montana was usually so accurate that defensive backs were surprised that passes would hit their hands and drop them.

With Esiason having a sore arm, the Bengals tried to pound it with Woods but I didnt feel, used Brooks enough. The Niners defense was excellent but I didnt feel the Bengals receivers made enough plays as well ...
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Brian wolf wrote:Looking back at the 88/89 SB, Billups could have ended the game, similiar to Asante Samuel in the 07/08 SB but Montana was usually so accurate that defensive backs were surprised that passes would hit their hands and drop them.

With Esiason having a sore arm, the Bengals tried to pound it with Woods but I didnt feel, used Brooks enough. The Niners defense was excellent but I didnt feel the Bengals receivers made enough plays as well ...
Actually, Stanley Wilson was going to be the focus of the game plan until he got caught the night before with drugs.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

The corollary to the question is What If San Diego had beaten the Bengals and played either the 49ners or Cowboys? The Chargers
played the Cowboys in Dallas on MNF in 1980 and gave up a ton of points, they played SF the following season in one of the classic
QB match ups of all-time with SD prevailing. I would have loved to have seen either match up!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I think if the Chargers could have survived the Freezer Bowl and Cincinnati, it would have been a great game against either Dallas or SF. The 49ers secondary was in a defensive groove with Dean and Board supplying the pass rush but the Chargers had great receivers as well. Whether the Cowboys or 49ers, the Chargers cant have turnovers from Muncie or Fouts. Dean would have been motivated but the Chargers offensive line would have accounted for him I believe.
Without turnovers, a big IF, the Chargers win a close one in Pontiac, I think ...
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Agreed. Chargers vs either Dallas or SF would have been very exciting to watch.

SD had that Epic in Miami the week before playing the Freezer Bowl. That's a tough road to the SB.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael