I didn't know he played for them.....

RichardBak

Re: I didn't know he played for them.....

Post by RichardBak »

Brian wolf wrote:I still dont understand why Brown wasnt eligible against GB in the playoff game ?
NFL by-laws at the time didn't allow any player who wasn't on the active roster the last 2 weeks of the season to play in the postseason. I remember that game so well, with Tom Matte wearing that "peep sheet" on his wrist (first time I'd ever seen such a thing) and Chandler's controversial kick in OT. Bob Boyd was the back-up QB should Matte get injured. Boyd had played QB at Oklahoma.

Man, the Colts were snake-bit throughout the 1960s---'64, '65, '67, and of course '68.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

RichardBak wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:I still dont understand why Brown wasnt eligible against GB in the playoff game ?
NFL by-laws at the time didn't allow any player who wasn't on the active roster the last 2 weeks of the season to play in the postseason. I remember that game so well, with Tom Matte wearing that "peep sheet" on his wrist (first time I'd ever seen such a thing) and Chandler's controversial kick in OT. Bob Boyd was the back-up QB should Matte get injured. Boyd had played QB at Oklahoma.

Man, the Colts were snake-bit throughout the 1960s---'64, '65, '67, and of course '68.
I had the wrong George H. George Harold was a DB. George Haffner was the 3rd stringer on the taxi squad. The Colts were able to activate him for week 14 as they did with Ed Brown. Haffner did not play.

I do think the waiving of Brown in week 14 is suspicious. Even if he was 3rd string on the worst team in the NFL. Maybe because he was 3rd string on the worst team in the NFL. So I don't feel bad about the controversial FG now.

There was a lot that changed in a couple of years. Goalposts raised, taxi squad rules changed, and the 1965 playoff never happens because the Packers already beat the Colts twice.

Those other games were blowouts, and didn't make a lot of sense. Especially 1964. The Browns defense was nothing special.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
Curly Culp finished with a cup of coffee with the Lions.
Gene Washington (ex-49er WR) also finished with the Lions in 1979 after Joe Thomas cut him and Jim Plunkett.
I thought Alan Page was still good his final season with the Bears.
He was. I still vividly remember him helping knock Denver out of the playoffs in his final game.
It was 3.5 years and he had ~40 sacks and ~10 blocked kicks in that period including leading the team in sacks and yes in his final career game he bagged 3 sacks. I'd say it was a highly effective stint.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Jay Z wrote:
Oszuscik wrote:Marks Brother Mark Clayton... Packers
Devin Hester... Seahawks
Jim McMahon... Packers
Steve McMichael... Packers
Torry Holt... Jaguars
Eddie George... Cowboys
Jeff George... Seahawks
With the Pack, Clayton tried, but was just a receiver. McMahon won a Super Bowl ring, but never played because Favre. McMichael was cashing a paycheck, no effort.
McMIchael started his career with the Patriots (he only played 6 games for them).
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

A few more...

Deacon Jones finished with the Washington football team.
Chester Marcol finshed with the Houston Oilers.
Tony Dorsett finished with the Denver Broncos.
Garo Yepremian finished with the Tampa Bay Bucs.
Roy Gerela finished with the San Diego Chargers.
Warren Moon finished with the Kansas City Chiefs.
John Mackey finished with the San Diego Chargers.
Bruce Smith finished with the Washington Football team.
Thurman Thomas finished with the Miami Dolphins.
Gary Najman

Re: I didn't know he played for them..

Post by Gary Najman »

Jim Hart finished his 19-year career with Washington.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Carroll Dale finished his career playing in SB VIII with the Vikings ... How is he not in the HOVG ?
JWL

Post by JWL »

Vance Johnson played with the Broncos from 1985-93 and 1995. What most people do not recall is that he spent a week as a Viking in the summer of 1993 after being involved in the Gary Zimmerman trade. He also spent several months with the Chargers in 1994 but was released a few days before the regular season started. Trading cards exist showing Johnson in Chargers practice gear.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Brian wolf wrote:Carroll Dale finished his career playing in SB VIII with the Vikings ... How is he not in the HOVG ?
Dale was waived to the Bears in 1974 but retired in mid August. Maybe he should have stuck it out one more year. He could have helped the 1974 Bears, but then who couldn't? :lol:
Jamie Johnson

Post by Jamie Johnson »

Bob Hayes ended his career with the 49ers

Deacon Jones spent two years in San Diego and one in Washington at the end of his career

Neil Smith called it a day after one season in San Diego

Chuck Howley started his career with the Bears