I didn't know he played for them.....

74_75_78_79_

Re: I didn't know he played for them.....

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

You guys were right, Lofton did play for the Eagles, I barely saw that on pro football-reference ...
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Dennis Onkotz...Steelers!

https://www.nytimes.com/1971/10/01/arch ... nd-is.html
Dennis Onkotz... anybody!

He was a single year backup, played 9 games 50 years ago. Obscure even for here! :lol:
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Would Joe Namath with the Rams qualify? Or is he famous enough that everybody knows all about him?
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Bob Gill wrote:Would Joe Namath with the Rams qualify? Or is he famous enough that everybody knows all about him?
Yes, I think so. There are probably a lot of people that don't know or remember that.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Jay Z wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:Dennis Onkotz...Steelers!

https://www.nytimes.com/1971/10/01/arch ... nd-is.html
Dennis Onkotz... anybody!

He was a single year backup, played 9 games 50 years ago. Obscure even for here! :lol:
He had a heckuva lot of potential upon getting drafted by the Jets! A serious leg injury his rookie year ended any such high hopes. But what I just found out now was that he, indeed, got traded to the 'Burgh the following year in '71; rejoining his former college teammate, Jack Ham. My guess is that he never made it into uniform for a game and was out as soon as he joined them. The injury must have still lingered just enough. Can't for the life of me find any further info on the matter. Interesting how that Oct '71 NYT article states that the Steelers won't play the Jets until '73, reminding one that scheduled opponents were, indeed, set those first few years of the merger.

He initially put the 'U' in 'Linebacker U' at Happy Valley, starting the parade of LB-greats from he to Ham to Conlan to Arrington to Posluszny and all in-between those! He played a huge part in those back-to-back unbeaten seasons in '68 & '69 - the latter being quite infamous for they not getting a shot at Texas; Milhouse saying publicly that he felt Texas was best and then the pollsters placing them there.

As for someone better known, also having played LB for my favorite college team, Shane Conlan himself! He ended things with the Rams in the mid-'90s.

Mark Moseley...pretty easy to forget he kicked for Philly & Houston early on; and ended up on Marty's Browns before calling it a career!
Jamie Johnson

Post by Jamie Johnson »

I never realized that Steve Bartkowski played for the Rams. According to pro football reference, he started six games for Rams in 1986.

Ray Mansfield spent his rookie year as a defensive tackle with Philadelphia in 1963. Mansfield moved on to Pittsburgh and became the Steelers starting center for the next 12 seasons.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Billy Cannon...Chiefs

Clem Daniels...49ers
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Len Ford Packers.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Howard "Hopalong" Cassady played his first 6 seasons (1956-61) and his final season (1963) with Detroit, but split the '62 season between Cleveland and Phila.