I didn't know he played for them.....

ChrisBabcock

Re: I didn't know he played for them.....

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Jim Taylor on the Saints was a shocker to me when I found that out. Isaac Bruce in the 49ers felt really weird at the time.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Equally interesting are examples of great players who were acquired by a team late in their career but never played for them (Herb Adderley/Rams; Terrell Owens/Seahawks; Bobby Bell/Raiders; Alex Karras/Redskins; Eric Dickerson/Packers; Paul Hornung/Saints).
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

Harold Carmichael played 2 games with the Dallas Cowboys in 1984. The same team which ended his record consecutive games with a reception in 1980.
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

Art Monk with the Jets and Eagles

The George Allen brought in quite a few established players who had a season or 2 or just a game at the end of their careers in Washington.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Lofton wasnt with the Eagles but Irving Fryar was. Even at the time, I felt the Dolphins made a mistake because he was Marinos go-to receiver. Fryar had two affective years with the Eagles, while Fred Barnett, who had joined the Dolphins from Philly was a bust.

With the Cowboys I felt Joey Galloway was hurt too much but he produced for other teams.

The Redskins did an excellent job with other backs like George Rogers, Gerald Riggs and Earnest Byner.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I felt the Chiefs might have made a mistake letting Chris Burford go to the expansion Bengals in 1968. For the second time he refused to report to a Paul Brown team. He had chosen the Chiefs over the Browns as well. A great player for the AFL IMO ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Taylor had to go to the Saints. He was paid well and brought fans in to see the team. With the signing bonuses that Grabowski and Anderson got from the Packers it was a no-brainer ... Though Lombardi sent Ringo to Philly, Ringo played as well as he had with the Packers and had to have been missed until Bowman established himself.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Not only did the Eagles miss out on Brunell, they also tried to get Steve Young but despite Young making more as a backup than many starting QBs, the 49ers wouldnt let him go. I personally didnt think Young wanted it to happen. He was determined to succeed Montana.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Brian wolf wrote:Lofton wasnt with the Eagles but Irving Fryar was. Even at the time, I felt the Dolphins made a mistake because he was Marinos go-to receiver. Fryar had two affective years with the Eagles, while Fred Barnett, who had joined the Dolphins from Philly was a bust.

With the Cowboys I felt Joey Galloway was hurt too much but he produced for other teams.

The Redskins did an excellent job with other backs like George Rogers, Gerald Riggs and Earnest Byner.
Lofton played for both the Eagles and Rams in 1993
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Brian wolf wrote:Taylor had to go to the Saints. He was paid well and brought fans in to see the team. With the signing bonuses that Grabowski and Anderson got from the Packers it was a no-brainer ... Though Lombardi sent Ringo to Philly, Ringo played as well as he had with the Packers and had to have been missed until Bowman established himself.
I saw an interview with Jim Taylor in which he said the Saints offer was something he couldn't pass up. It helped take care of him the rest of his life.

When Taylor played out his option in 1966, Lombardi took it as a personal affront, considering it "disloyal." BTW, Taylor was not breaking a contract by playing out his option. Lombardi refused to speak to his long-time top RB in 1966, wouldn't acknowledge Taylor's existence. If you listen closely to the NFL Films Super Bowl I film, you hear Lombardi clearing the bench in the last minutes:

"Andy, Andy, go in for Pitts. Grabbo, Grabbo, go in for..Go in for..." Lombardi couldn't bring himself to say "Grabbo, go in for Taylor."

In 1969, Vince Lombardi pulled out of his contract with the Packers, for whom he was still general manager, and signed for a huge salary with the Redskins. To Vince Lombardi it was "disloyal" for Jim Taylor to play out his option and go elsewhere for more money. It was just fine for Vince lombardi to break a contract and go to another team for big money.

Speaking of "played for them," there may be some people who don't know Vince Lombardi was head coach of the Washington Redskins.