Quarterback "Storylines"

Jay Z

Re: Quarterback "Storylines"

Post by Jay Z »

Saban wrote:Apparently, in the 1950 AAFC dispersal draft, the 49ers took guard Knox Ramsey in the first round and defensive end Ed Henke in the second. Ramsey ended up playing for the Cardinals for some reason and I think that Henke played in Canada. Henke joined the 49ers sometime after 1950.

Philadelphia was 6 and 6 in 1950 losing twice to Cleveland and twice in close games to the rebuilt Giants. That made them 6 and 2 with other teams and they did beat the Rams 56 to 20. The Eagles did gain Concrete Charlie (Bednarik) in 1949 with the bonus pick (they picked first), which should have helped in 1950 as he had a year's experience. I think that the ease with which Cleveland beat them in 1950, 35 to 10, made some people think they were probably better in 1949, much like Green Bay was considered better after they beat Kansas City 35 to 10 in Super Bowl I. Only Green Bay was expected to win. Cleveland wasn't.

The 49ers added 13 rookies to their 33 man roster in 1950 and also got 3 free agents, HB/DB Fred Gehrke, DB Howie Livingston (after 4 games, which may be why they let Paul Salata go), and HB/DB Dan Sandifer. The 49ers used their first 3 picks in the 1950 NFL draft on tackles.
Ramsey reported to the 49ers but was released before the season.

Henke did go to Canada for 1950. With the 49ers in 1951-52, Army 1953, then back to Canada.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I guess Knox wasn't his brother - I don't see any postseason honors for him. Len Ford would have been a good pick.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:I guess Knox wasn't his brother - I don't see any postseason honors for him. Len Ford would have been a good pick.
Ford wasn't picked until the second round of the dispersal draft. Most teams passed on him twice.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

He had a couple pretty good receiving seasons in the AAFC. I hadn't realized that.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:He had a couple pretty good receiving seasons in the AAFC. I hadn't realized that.
Ford only played 5 regular season games for the Browns in 1950. He was slugged by Pat Harder in the 5th game against the Cards which resulted in a broken jaw. Ford missed the rest of the regular season.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Could this upcoming Super Bowl be deja vu, all over again ?

In 2014/15, Older Tom Brady and the Patriots upset the younger, rising superstar Russell Wilson and the Seahawks trying to win back-to-back championships ...

Now Brady and the Bucs try to do the same to Mahomes and the defending Chiefs ? Will the NFL give to him, I mean will Brady and the Bucs prevail ? ... caught myself, haha
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Giants were 6-6 in '49 losing to the Eagles twice, but had a QB in his prime and added a rookie back in Price who had a good year. They would have had a chance to beat the '50 Eagles twice independent of the AAFC. '50 Eagles were pretty bad in the second half at 1-5 with losses to the Cardinals and Steelers as well. Neither Van Buren nor Thompson ever regained their pre-1950 form.
True the Eagles were 1-5 but didn't lose a game by more than 6 points....the sad thing about it was they fired Greasy Neale....
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Brian wolf wrote:Could this upcoming Super Bowl be deja vu, all over again ?

In 2014/15, Older Tom Brady and the Patriots upset the younger, rising superstar Russell Wilson and the Seahawks trying to win back-to-back championships ...

Now Brady and the Bucs try to do the same to Mahomes and the defending Chiefs ? Will the NFL give to him, I mean will Brady and the Bucs prevail ? ... caught myself, haha
Brady continues the tradition of a new NFC quarterback in the Super Bowl. 17 different QBs in the last 20 years. Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, and Goff had all gone for the NFC, so of course it's Brady.

For the AFC, Mahomes went last year so of course he goes again. 6 in 20 years.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

More history for Brady as he becomes the third QB in NFL history and second in SB history, besides P Manning to win with different teams ... in TB, spoiling another chance for a team with a young, great QB going back-to-back ...

Will Mahomes like Russell Wilson, ever make it back to the SB ?
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Brian wolf wrote:Will Mahomes like Russell Wilson, ever make it back to the SB ?
I think we all expect that Mahomes will return to at least one more but who would have guessed that Aaron Rodgers would still be waiting for his second appearance after 10 seasons? What about Dan Marino? Many thought he was great enough to get a team back to a few SBs almost by himself.

It's damn hard to get there and teams change. Sometimes they change only subtly with the loss of a couple of players, but it's enough to upset the fragile, hard to define winning chemistry of a team.