NFL HC-ing offers declined by notable college legends?

74_75_78_79_

NFL HC-ing offers declined by notable college legends?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I am aware that Joe Paterno was the first to be offered the Steelers HC opening in ’69 only to turn it down - enter Chuck Noll. I also believe he was offered, and came real close to accepting, the Pats in ’73. Are there any other offers made that I may be missing? I think he was considered in Philly in ’86 but not sure.

The Bear, Woody Hayes, Bo, Royal, Devaney...what such opportunities have they, or the likes of them, ever had? What offers, if any, did Wilkinson or Switzer ever get before their stints with StL and Dallas respectively?

Thanks!
Eagles One

Re: NFL HC-ing offers declined by notable college legends?

Post by Eagles One »

I am pretty sure Barry Alvarez was in the run for the Eagles (prior to Ray Rhodes) in 1994 and declined.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Forrest Evashevski turned down the Packers job prior to Vince Lombardi getting it.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Bear Bryant was offered the Dolphin job in 1970, but turned it down, and the rest is history.

Also, I think that Paterno also could have had the GB job in 1971 (I think he was going to bring Sandusky with him, though).
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

I recall Dan Jenkins writing in Sports Illustrated that John McKay had turned down the Los Angeles Ram job several times before he went to Tampa Bay. One of those times was probably 1971 with UCLA coach Tommy Prothro getting the Ram job after McKay stayed at USC.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Bobby Bowden turned down the Atlanta Falcons.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

George Perles (Michigan State) turned down the Green Bay job after Forrest Gregg quit in 1987.
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

Citizen wrote:George Perles (Michigan State) turned down the Green Bay job after Forrest Gregg quit in 1987.

Perles was set to coach the Philadelphia Stars of the USFL in 1982 but resigned before he coached a game to take the Michigan State HC job. Jim Mora ended up as head coach of the Stars.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Apparently, George Young was close to making Howard Schnellenberger Giants HC, and getting rid of Parcells after one year:

https://goldenrankings.com/footballshortstory.htm

If that would have happened, Belichick would have went to the Vikings according to The 30 for 30 show The Two Bills.
Jamie Johnson

Post by Jamie Johnson »

Paterno was number one of Leonard Tose's wish list in 1976. Tose agreed to all of Paterno's demands and a deal seemed inevitable. But Paterno's wife and children didn't want to leave State College and Paterno backed out of accepting the Eagles job.

Sometime in the 1980's, Tom Osborne rebuffed Houston.