USFL box scores

Lee Elder

USFL box scores

Post by Lee Elder »

I am researching the USFL and need a source for box scores for the Chicago Blitz and Arizona Wranglers. Can anyone point me toward a good source?

Thanks,

Lee Elder
RyanChristiansen

Re: USFL box scores

Post by RyanChristiansen »

No box scores, but final scores as well as other statistics.

https://www.statscrew.com/football/l-USFL
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Lee Elder

Post by Lee Elder »

Ryan,

Thanks for the tip. I have seen that site and it has good stuff, but what I need is box scores.

Lee Elder
lietzaro24

Post by lietzaro24 »

Lee,
You can find complete box scores in the Sporting News USFL Guide and Register for both 1984 and 1985, which features box scores for every game of 1983 and 1984 for every team. You should be able to find both on ebay. The 1985 Arizona Outlaws media guide has all box scores for the 1984 Wranglers. The 1984 Blitz media guide has every box score for the 1983 Blitz season. The 1984 Wranglers media guide also has every box score for the 1983 Blitz but no box scores for the Wranglers, other than the week 2 tilt between the Wranglers and the Blitz. I guess neither franchise wanted to claim the 1983 Wranglers as theirs after the franchise swap.

I have researched the 1984 in its entirety so if you need help with anything, please let me know. You can PM me if you want. The only element that I'm really missing from the '84 season is the game by game starting lineups for every team. I do have the Wranglers starting lineups for every game, they are published in the '85 Outlaws media guide. There were also post-season media guide published by a few teams. The '84 Wranglers and '83 and '84 Express are 2 that I know of, possibly the Stars and Panthers as well...

I am currently working on 1985, watching a lot of old games on youtube and going through box scores that I found from 1985 issues of The Sporting News.

Another awesome source for USFL box scores for 1983 and 1984, although not 100% but close enough, along with participation charts for every team with most games covered is...

https://usflrevisited.webs.com/

I don't know who runs the website but they have put a lot of work into it and done a fantastic job. There is a ton of helpful information and I've found it to be a very good source.

Also, newspapers.com also has archives from the Chicago Tribune and Arizona Republic that feature a lot of Blitz and Wranglers news that is worth looking in to. You need a subscription to look at their archives but there is a lot of info that you can find there that you probably won't find anywhere else.

Good luck,
Rob
Lee Elder

Post by Lee Elder »

Rob,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I figured the newspaper membership was the most likely source but I thought someone like you might know another avenue to try. I'll look into everything you suggested!

Lee Elder
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

lietzaro24 wrote:Lee,
Also, newspapers.com also has archives from the Chicago Tribune and Arizona Republic that feature a lot of Blitz and Wranglers news that is worth looking in to. You need a subscription to look at their archives but there is a lot of info that you can find there that you probably won't find anywhere else.

Good luck,
Rob
They also have Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, San Antonio, Tampa Bay, Detroit, Boston, Orlando, Los Angeles, San Francisco (no Oakland), NY?NJ,