Drew Pearson and Tom Flores--still waiting on contributor

SixtiesFan

Re: Drew Pearson and Tom Flores--still waiting on contrib

Post by SixtiesFan »

Teo wrote:
NWebster wrote:If they wanted a Cowboy it should have been Howley if they wanted a WR it should have been Shofner and I'd have gone Buddy Parker over Flores. The Coors commercial makes me think that being Hispanic may have been a factor.
I agree, but if they wanted a 70s WR, it should have been the other Rams #29, the other Harold, and I’m a Cowboys fan.

The thing against Pearson (IMHO) is that in his last five or six years, Tony Hill was the main WR for the Cowboys (and yes, I do remember Pearson two TDs against the Falcons in the Duel at Dixie). Sure, Jackson stopped to be the main WR at the same time with the Patriots, but he had been a top WR for nine seasons for the Eagles and Rams, and remained productive in New England, plus his yards per catch were high for his era. But I also believe if Eric Wright hadn’t grab Pearson by the horse collar in The Catch game and Dallas had gotten at least a FG and went to the Super Bowl, Pearson would have been enshrined before.
I was just thinking about that play. Thanks for bringing it up. If Pearson had gone all the way giving the Cowboys the win and putting them in Super Bowl XVI, Drew Pearson would already be in the HOF.

Imagine what the Cowboy publicity machine would have done with a play like that. The Catch would be forgotten.
Brian wolf

Re: Drew Pearson and Tom Flores--still waiting on contributo

Post by Brian wolf »

Hill was the go to receiver for White though he liked Cosbie too. Pearson had a better chemistry with Staubach but Butch Johnson wanted the ball as well.
sluggermatt15

Re: Drew Pearson and Tom Flores--still waiting on contributo

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I think it helped Pearson's cause when he made a huge deal out of not being nominated for the centennial class last year for the NFL's 100th season. The next year? He's a finalist. :roll:

For coaches, add Blanton Collier to the list of who is potentially higher up than Flores. Marty Schottenheimer too. Marty doesn't have the playoff wins or championships, but he has 200 regular season wins, far more than Flores.