Drew Pearson and Tom Flores--still waiting on contributor

lastcat3

Re: Drew Pearson and Tom Flores--still waiting on cotributor

Post by lastcat3 »

I'm wondering if the vote for Pearson could have been in wanting to get Roger Staubach's main wide receiver in while Staubach is still alive and kicking.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I got this list of finalists from another board, but Andy mentioned he didn't think this information was released. What do you guys think? My own thought is with Howley about the oldest player, its probably right - seems pretty typical.

Ken Anderson
Cliff Branch
Roger Craig
Randy Gradishar
LC Greenwood
Chuck Howley
Joe Klecko
George Kunz
Stanley Morgan
Tommy Nobis
Drew Pearson
Ken Riley
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Bryan wrote:Do they really need to put forth a "senior" coach every year?
+1

I don't get the logic. Even if you go back to the 20s, the ratio of players to coaches is at least 16:1. Yet we have one of each annually?
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:I got this list of finalists from another board, but Andy mentioned he didn't think this information was released. What do you guys think? My own thought is with Howley about the oldest player, its probably right - seems pretty typical.

Ken Anderson
Cliff Branch
Roger Craig
Randy Gradishar
LC Greenwood
Chuck Howley
Joe Klecko
George Kunz
Stanley Morgan
Tommy Nobis
Drew Pearson
Ken Riley
All of them are in the HOVG with the exception of Morgan, which is a nominee this year.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I am a Cowboys fan and I started watching the NFL at the end of Pearson being the "main" WR with the Cowboys (Tony Hill was), but I remember his two TD catches against Atlanta and his catch in The Catch game when Eric Wright saved a Cowboys win. Watching all his clutch catches I say he's worthy, but I think there are other contemporary WRs like Harold Jackson who are more deserving.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Aside from Pearson and Flores being nominated, I like to point out again that I don't like the prominence that David Baker has calling them (or eventually knocking in their hotel door). It appears (to the casual fan) that he is the one making the final decision for which one is in or out, and I bet that in the not so distant future Baker will be inducted as a "contributor".
Last edited by Gary Najman on Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Piascik

Post by Andy Piascik »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:I got this list of finalists from another board, but Andy mentioned he didn't think this information was released. What do you guys think? My own thought is with Howley about the oldest player, its probably right - seems pretty typical.

Ken Anderson
Cliff Branch
Roger Craig
Randy Gradishar
LC Greenwood
Chuck Howley
Joe Klecko
George Kunz
Stanley Morgan
Tommy Nobis
Drew Pearson
Ken Riley
John, this list is probably right. Whatever the rules about not disclosing the names of the finalists, selectors have been known to release the information off the record.

If this list is accurate, it sure seems like they're closing the door on the Super Seniors.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Ken Anderson
Cliff Branch
Roger Craig
Randy Gradishar
LC Greenwood
Chuck Howley
Joe Klecko
George Kunz
Stanley Morgan
Tommy Nobis
Drew Pearson
Ken Riley
it's accurate http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/ ... minee.html
Oszuscik

Post by Oszuscik »

Andy Piascik wrote:

Ken Anderson
Cliff Branch
Roger Craig
Randy Gradishar
LC Greenwood
Chuck Howley
Joe Klecko
George Kunz
Stanley Morgan
Tommy Nobis
Drew Pearson
Ken Riley
John, this list is probably right. Whatever the rules about not disclosing the names of the finalists, selectors have been known to release the information off the record.

If this list is accurate, it sure seems like they're closing the door on the Super Seniors.
I would imagine the super seniors aren't high on their radar anymore. I can't say it's surprising though. Would electing a player from the 1920's or 30's really generate any buzz among the typical fan? There's probably few living people who even remember watching players from that era. But honoring the players that middle-aged fans grew up watching, players from the Super Bowl era, that's something the common fan can get excited about. That'll get fans to come out to Canton and keep the inductions relevant year after year.

The centennial class I thought was meant to be the big push to get those snubbed super seniors in, but seeing how that turned out you can pretty much bet those seniors won't have much luck going forward.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Teo wrote:Aside from Pearson and Flores being nominated, I like to point out again that I don't like the prominence that David Baker has calling them (or eventually knocking in their hotel door). It appears (to the casual fan) that he is the one making the final decision for which one is in or out, and I bet that in not so distant future Baker will be inducted as a "contributor".
not if he gets fired first