Last great NFL season

Oszuscik

Last great NFL season

Post by Oszuscik »

This topic of conversation got started on a different thread so I thought I'd make it's own.

Obviously the NFL has gone through a lot of change throughout its history. Rule changes, free agency, and so on. What do you consider to be the last great NFL season? And I'm not so much talking about when the last really exciting Super Bowl was or anything like that, but the last season before the NFL seemed to shift in a direction that diminished the league in your eyes. It could be rule changes, or a rash of players retiring (like '99 with Steve Young, Michael Irvin, and Dan Marino), anything that altered your level of enjoyment moving forward. OR, maybe you feel the NFL is currently better than ever?
Crazy Packers Fan

Re: Last great NFL season

Post by Crazy Packers Fan »

There are some ways the NFL is better than ever, such as more games being available to watch, better quarterback play, and higher scores (if that's what you like). As for me, though, I feel like 2007 was the last really great season. In 2007 you had the 16-0 Patriots and their rivalry with the Colts, the magical run of Brett Favre in his final season with the Packers, the Giants' run to the Super Bowl, the Cowboys' return to power, and a couple of great underdogs in Jacksonville and Tampa Bay. There were lots of good playoff games, ending with one of the biggest Super Bowl upsets of the post-merger NFL. Yes, there was lots of controversy, but it felt like the controversy just added fuel to the excitement of the season rather than distracting fans from the games.

But after that fantastic season, there hasn't been another one on that level. It's not that the NFL has spiraled downhill or isn't good anymore, it's just that there hasn't been a season that I felt such gravity as of 2007. I leave the door open for another one in the future, but it will be hard to top 2007.

This really makes me think: I ought to write a book on the 2007 NFL season.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

There's definitely a book to be written on the 2007 college football season. That's too painful for me to write, though.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

2007 you could still deliver a clean hit over the middle and not have the flags fly

Right now they want to make the game a track meet. Make all pass defense impossible to run up those fantasy pass and receiving numbers. Pitch and catch followed by two hand touch. For the love of God let defenses defend
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

The question assumes that the game has declined and I don't agree with that premise.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Todd Pence wrote:There's definitely a book to be written on the 2007 college football season. That's too painful for me to write, though.
https://www.sbnation.com/a/2007-college-football-season