Scoring dip in the early 1990's

Todd Pence

Scoring dip in the early 1990's

Post by Todd Pence »

From the 1991 through the 1993 seasons, the NFL suffered a dip in point totals unprecedented since the 1978 rule changes designed to increase scoring. During those three seasons, the point total (based on an average per team per game) dropped below 20 for the first time since 1978. Offensive touchdowns PTPG also dropped below the 2.0 level for all three years, with 1993's 1.83 mark being an all-time low for the modern era (even surpassing 1977's anemic 1.89), and indeed the lowest since 1940!

One notable thing about these three years, is that while TD production was down, field goal totals rose to unprecedented levels. 1991 set an all-time record (at the time) for successful field goals made, this mark was surpassed in '93.

I wonder how much study this curious three-year scoring drought (if the term is appropriate) has been given. Has there ever been a reason for the decline in scoring for these three years, after scoring had been steadily and healthily on the rise throughout the 1980's? For the decline in TDs and subsequent rise in field goals for that period?
RyanChristiansen

Re: Scoring dip in the early 1990's

Post by RyanChristiansen »

My guess, based on stats, is injuries in the running game.

During 1991-1994, total rushing yards for the league dipped below 50,000 yards for the first time since 1974 (not including 1982).

In 1993, the total rushing touchdowns for the league dipped to 304, the lowest since 1970 (not including 1982).

In 1993, only 12 running backs started in all 16 games for their teams, and only 3 of those players had more than 100 rushing attempts on the season (Herschel Walker, Marion Butts, and Thurman Thomas).

The top 11 rushers in 1993, each with over 1,000 yards, started an average of 12 games that season.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Yes, that was the major one of my theories, is the dropoff of production in the ground game. SPORTS ILLUSTRATED noted this in an article in 1990.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Also wouldn't another factor be in that was about the time where kickers were really starting to turn into the robo kickers that we know today. Teams starting field positions were deeper into their own territory than normal because kickers would constantly be kicking the ball out of the endzone and punters were getting really good as well. I think in '94 is when they moved the kickoff back to the 30 and that helped open up the offenses more.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

One interesting fact I did learn researching this post. Did you know that on a points-per-game basis, the 1948 season is the highest scoring all-time year in the NFL?
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Todd Pence wrote:One interesting fact I did learn researching this post. Did you know that on a points-per-game basis, the 1948 season is the highest scoring all-time year in the NFL?
That's actually ironic considering the final score of the championship game!
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Return of 'dead ball' a la '77 from '91-thru-'93? Not too hard to believe, actually, when looking back. In last year's "least-favorite season" thread which I started, I did mention '93 (after mentioning '89 first). As much as I say I wish there'd be more defense in the game again (especially in college ball), perhaps I actually welcome more offense than I say. But in a case with '93, it seemed less the defenses being great and more-so the offenses simply not being all-that explosive. That's not to take anything away from the defense of the '92/'93 Cowboys. I think they are an historic great D! But there are some who seem to trivialize them a tad. Perhaps its the "not enough great offenses" thought that may apply to that. Just the same, look what they did to SF - a pretty great O - in the '93 NFCCG. Handled the K-gun as well.

That's what made the '80s, and most of the '90s, so great...many notable great, explosive offenses but at the same time still dominating defenses mixed in there. In the end, even though I prefer defense; having BOTH is better. It simply makes you appreciate those great defenses all the more. So '78 didn't quite have a negative effect on defensive football. It wouldn't be until further rule changes much later on.

What's been said of 1948 - quite surprising at first! But look at the #1-in-pts Cardinals...score more than 60 in one game, 50+ in another, and 40+ in two others! #2-in-points Eagles...five games scoring 40+, and two above 30! #3 Bears...one 50+ burger, four above 40, and one over 30! Interesting! '48...not a bad season to explore more of, delve myself into! Without looking it up this very moment, curious if '47 or '49 was far off; or if '48 itself just a one-year anomaly.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Have to say 1991-1993 I really enjoyed the NFL. The drop in scoring didn't result in a decrease in enjoyment of the sport itself. To me the quality of play was still extremely high

Having Marino and Cunningham go down fairly early didn't help things. Favre was quite there yet. Bledsoe a rookie
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Todd Pence wrote:One interesting fact I did learn researching this post. Did you know that on a points-per-game basis, the 1948 season is the highest scoring all-time year in the NFL?
I think a major factor was that the good teams were much, much better than the bad teams, resulting in a lot of lopsided scores. And a big reason for that was that competition with the AAFC was really hurting teams that didn't have a lot of money to spend.
To cite as an example a team I'm very familiar with, the Packers could sign only 8 of their 64 draft choices in 1946 and 1947. In 1948, they had the second losing season in their history, going 3-9 and losing four games by more than 30 points. The Lions and the Boston Yanks were even worse, with average point differentials of -15.6 and -13.4 respectively.
I'd say the high scoring that season was due much more to lousy defense than to supercharged offenses.