What will the Redskins new name be?

lastcat3

What will the Redskins new name be?

Post by lastcat3 »

Looks like there is starting to be a very good chance that the Redskins will finally bite the bullet and change their name since they will now be at risk of losing a lot of money if they don't.

I think they will just change it back to the Braves like it was when the franchise first started.
Oszuscik

Re: What will the Redskins new name be?

Post by Oszuscik »

That would be my choice. They can play the “tapping into team history” card of reverting back to a previous name, while keeping all their current colors and logos, which (at least in my opinion) are respectful, unlike, say, the Cleveland Indian’s old logo. Hopefully that one change would be enough to satisfy all sides.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

I don't know if this is entirely true or not but I have heard the name Redskins came about when the team moved into Fenway Park and it was created to kind of make the name sound somewhat similar to the Red Sox.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Yeah and I don't think there is any issue with the logo or the colors. All the logo depicts is an Indian. If they just changed the name to a more appropriate Indian title and kept everything else the same it wouldn't be any different than what the Chiefs currently have.

Only potential problem I could see with keeping that logo is that people associate that logo with the name Redskins.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I believe they would turn the helmet like the yellow one of the early 70s, but with an "W" instead of an "R".
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

lastcat3 wrote:Yeah and I don't think there is any issue with the logo or the colors. All the logo depicts is an Indian. If they just changed the name to a more appropriate Indian title and kept everything else the same it wouldn't be any different than what the Chiefs currently have.

Only potential problem I could see with keeping that logo is that people associate that logo with the name Redskins.
Yeah, keep the logo, or do a rebranding in conjunction with a name change. (I'd personally go back to the Jurgensen era spear). The compromise choice to keep the native American heritage but get rid of the offensive name would be something like the Washington Warriors. Two Ws, which is catchy, like the Wizards. I don't think they'd go with Braves since there would be connections to George Preston Marshall... who it seems like they're trying to distance themselves from.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

ChrisBabcock wrote:The compromise choice to keep the native American heritage but get rid of the offensive name would be something like the Washington Warriors. Two Ws, which is catchy, like the Wizards. I don't think they'd go with Braves since there would be connections to George Preston Marshall... who it seems like they're trying to distance themselves from.
Long ago (the 1990's) I had this discussion with a friend who is (1/2) Amerind.
She stated then the only Indian mascot name with which she was comfortable was "Warriors."

Study over. Let's make it a done deal and move on... ;)

As a side note, I would LOVE to see the old yellow helmets return...
(and, while we're at it, the old white Eagles' helmets, too)
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

I will forever refuse to use any other name than Redskins. And let's not back down to the communist mob for once. And make the NFL and all these other organizations pay a price for their wokeness. Don't accept any new name. Push on with Redskins forever

What Snyder is doing here is buying time and hoping this terroristic behavior directed towards him and his team is either defeated or dies down. Let this be a process...a loooong process. They stand to lose a lot of money and a lot of fans giving in as well. The NFL in general is unfortunately going to get slapped upside the head this year by its most loyal fans due to the direction it's taken. The comments on social media are very very ominous.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

sheajets wrote:I will forever refuse to use any other name than Redskins. And let's not back down to the communist mob for once. And make the NFL and all these other organizations pay a price for their wokeness. Don't accept any new name. Push on with Redskins forever

What Snyder is doing here is buying time and hoping this terroristic behavior directed towards him and his team is either defeated or dies down. Let this be a process...a loooong process. They stand to lose a lot of money and a lot of fans giving in as well. The NFL in general is unfortunately going to get slapped upside the head this year by its most loyal fans due to the direction it's taken. The comments on social media are very very ominous.
So far the corporations have backed down to the "communist mob" every time.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

sheajets wrote:I will forever refuse to use any other name than Redskins. And let's not back down to the communist mob for once. And make the NFL and all these other organizations pay a price for their wokeness. Don't accept any new name. Push on with Redskins forever

Like it or not it s going to change. If not now it will eventually. Calling a team the Redskins isn't any different than if there was an NFL team called the Kike's. Like others have said they can still choose a name that represents a Native American.