Odd game scenarios

NWebster

Odd game scenarios

Post by NWebster »

I watched an Italian soccer game that had nobody in the stands due to Corona virus concerns, was very odd to be honest with you. What are some of the odd NFL game scenarios you recall, immediately I think of the sneakers game, the announcer less game, the Texans / Bears game in the Rubber Bowl and the game in Japan where TD made his initial big splash.
Bryan

Re: Odd game scenarios

Post by Bryan »

"...so the game was moved, replete with gusty winds and gray flannel skies, to ancient Tulane Stadium..."
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Have seen soccer matches with empty stands before (fans banned) and I like when that or small attended games in any sport happens, because instead of nonsense fan noise get to hear the sport in its pure form.

Odd NFL things:

All the anthem stuff.
Being setup for a legendary snow game and having NFL/Goodell postpone it for 'fan safety'.
Lights going out at the Super Bowl.
Ravens-Eagles preseason game that was cancelled and documented wonderfully on "Hard Knocks."
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I remember the Bears/Eagles fog bowl playoff game was fairly bizarre to watch on TV.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Reaser wrote:Lights going out at the Super Bowl.
I liked the Super Bowl that was held in Jerry Jones' new stadium. I guess they had sold tickets based on how the seats would be laid out from a blueprint, but they got rid of one of the sections during the actual construction. So when fans with those tickets went to the stadium...their section didn't even exist! Kind of funny in retrospect. I don't think even Mrs. Weatherwax could have smoothed that one over.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

2003: MNF Dolphins at Chargers played in Arizona due to wildfires
2010: Vikings at Eagles playing at Detroit on a Tuesday with Joe Webb at QB, ending Brett Favre starting streak.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Bryan wrote:
Reaser wrote:Lights going out at the Super Bowl.
I liked the Super Bowl that was held in Jerry Jones' new stadium. I guess they had sold tickets based on how the seats would be laid out from a blueprint, but they got rid of one of the sections during the actual construction. So when fans with those tickets went to the stadium...their section didn't even exist! Kind of funny in retrospect. I don't think even Mrs. Weatherwax could have smoothed that one over.
Yup, that's a good one. Sold tickets to section that didn't exist, plus sold tickets to a section where you couldn't see the field. I don't remember it all now but I do remember the aftermath was semi-interesting, too.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Two games played in non-NFL Ohio cities come to mind.

The first time the Cleveland Browns played an NFL team was an exhibition against the Packers in Toledo on Aug. 12, 1950. The Browns won 38-7. My dad was at that game, along with Art Daley and Lee Remmel.

In 1952, the Dallas Texans' franchise was taken over by the NFL and the team's home against the Bears was moved from Nov. 30 to Thanksgiving, Nov. 27, and relocated to the Rubber Bowl in Akron. The Texans beat the Bears 27-23 for their only win of the season...and, in fact, the only win their short history.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

rhickok1109 wrote:Two games played in non-NFL Ohio cities come to mind.

The first time the Cleveland Browns played an NFL team was an exhibition against the Packers in Toledo on Aug. 12, 1950. The Browns won 38-7. My dad was at that game, along with Art Daley and Lee Remmel.

In 1952, the Dallas Texans' franchise was taken over by the NFL and the team's home against the Bears was moved from Nov. 30 to Thanksgiving, Nov. 27, and relocated to the Rubber Bowl in Akron. The Texans beat the Bears 27-23 for their only win of the season...and, in fact, the only win their short history.
The Rubber Bowl game was supposedly less well attended than the High School game that proceeded it on the same field.
single wing

Post by single wing »

By far the 1932 championship game played indoors at Chicago Stadium on a 80 yard field https://www.profootballhof.com/football ... yoff-game/