Your favorite, and least-favorite, Miami Super Bowl?

74_75_78_79_

Your favorite, and least-favorite, Miami Super Bowl?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Reading a 'rank all Mia SBs' article online today inspires this thread.

In chronological order, here are all ten to pick from below...

1) SBII - Green Bay 33, Oakland 14

2) SBIII - NY Jets 16, Baltimore 7
The article actually picked this one for #1; the historic Namath/guarantee factor.

3) SBV - Baltimore 16, Dallas 13
This one gets a bad rap but on a good day, and some average ones, I may place this at #2 on this list! The 'blunder bowl', but it's the hard hits that made it as such! Very competitive scoreboard-wise, down to a last-second FG!

4) SBX - Pittsburgh 21, Dallas 17
Call it Steeler-bias, but this is my favorite! It really is the best game of the ten IMHO. Dallas winning at first, Lambert famously throwing Cliff Harris off of Gerela, Swann's acrobatics, Noll exuding supreme confidence in his D by going-for-it on 4th-down in Steelers own territory, Staubach almost bringing his team back (coming razor-close to connecting with Percy Howard for another score)...the Bicentennial...'Black Sunday' being filmed there...

5) SBXIII - Pittsburgh 35, Dallas 31
Yes, the historical 'Game of the Ages'-importance (umpteen future-HOFers involved), the best 1st-half ever in a SB, was nice how the game then took a defensive turn in the 3rd Q, but Steelers did pile on a sudden 18-point-lead in the 4th. Big D tacked on those two TDs in the end; and, yes, it was 'Captain Comeback' at the helm that may have forged some suspense, but not as suspenseful at all as three years prior.

6) SBXXIII - San Francisco 20, Cincinnati 16
Strictly game-wise, I feel that this or SBV is runner-up amongst Miami SBs.

7) SBXXIX - San Francisco 49, San Diego 26
The article ranked this as the worst. I agree! I un-regrettably worked during this one. I guess there was at least 'some' excitement though in that you wondered if SF would top their very own SB (XXIV) record for points-scored (55). And it was also a down-to-the-wire nail-biter point-spread-wise!

8) SBXXXIII - Denver 34, Atlanta 19
Snoozer! Even if, FWIW, Denver was 'only' up by 11 at end of the 3rd Q! I should have worked during this one as well!

9) SBXLI - Indianapolis 29, Chicago 17

10) SBXLIV - New Orleans 31, Indianapolis 17

Notable - twice was there a ten-year gap between Miami SBs. First was '78-'88; and then, of course, this very past one.
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JWL

Re: Your favorite, and least-favorite, Miami Super Bowl?

Post by JWL »

Favorite: 23
Least favorite: 2
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Favorite: 23
Least favorite: 33
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

Favorite: 3
Least favorite: 29
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

Favorite: X
Least favorite: LI
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Favorite - XLI

It was fun to watch Peyton Manning win his first championship. He was long overdue. The Colts played hard and earned it.

XLIV

I remember watching this one with the Colts driving down the field in the second half, thinking, wow, Peyton is going to win his second SB. Then, all of the sudden, he throws an INT, and the game completely changes. The Saints win and cap a remarkable season.

I don't remember watching any before XXIX. But II, III, V, etc. were all classics. Each had their defining moments to create NFL history.
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

Interesting that all of the Colts Super Bowls have been played in Miami. Also when they wore their blue jerseys, they lost. When they wore white, they won. But back to your original post.

Super Bowl X is my favorite.
Super Bowl XXIX is my least-favorite.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

I have to admit I don't care where the Super Bowl is played and I'm generally not even aware of the venue. I remember that SB I was in Los Angeles, but beyond that I can't say. The Packers won three more Super Bowls and I couldn't tell you where any of them was played. I don't know where last year's game was played and I wasn't aware until now that this year's would be in Miami. (At least I assume that's the reason for this post.)
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

San Fran-Cinci was a game I absolutely loved. I thought maybe, briefly for a second the Bengals could do it but my heart just knew the 9ers would much like that sinking feeling I get nowadays when New England starts to turn the tide in games...the of course them being the 49ers I haven't a shred of contempt for them. I hate ranking QB's especially across different eras with how the game has both evolved and wussified. But after this one I really starter to feel and believe Montana was the best of all time. And that belief has yet to be dislodged from my mind.

fwiw the Orange Bowl always looked wrong with turf. That should've always been a grass field. Kind of ruined the aesthetic of some games.

Pitt 35 Dallas 31 has unfortunately been knocked down a few pegs in the discussion of greatest all time games because of the contrived penalty fest shootout nonsense that has happened so frequently of late. But not for me. It's still top 10 all time. It had absolutely EVERYTHING
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

sluggermatt15 wrote:Favorite - XLI

It was fun to watch Peyton Manning win his first championship. He was long overdue. The Colts played hard and earned it.

XLIV

I remember watching this one with the Colts driving down the field in the second half, thinking, wow, Peyton is going to win his second SB. Then, all of the sudden, he throws an INT, and the game completely changes. The Saints win and cap a remarkable season.

I don't remember watching any before XXIX. But II, III, V, etc. were all classics. Each had their defining moments to create NFL history.

Crazy as it sounds I think he was more relieved and happier in beating the Patriots after that AFC Championship game 21-6 comeback than the Super Bowl :P that was a major hill to climb for the Colts of that era. New England was definitely in their heads (and perhaps playbooks)
+
I just remember it seemed like the Bears fan base absolutely annihilated the Colts. Felt like the stadium was 65-70% Bears fans