Super Bowl 54 discussion

Ness

Re: Super Bowl 54 discussion

Post by Ness »

I'm glad the squad made it. Mahomes will be tough to stop, but the 49ers have the power to at least slow him down. Jimmy G might have to play like he did in New Orleans to secure a victory though. I WANT THAT SIXTH RANG.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Ness wrote:I'm glad the squad made it. Mahomes will be tough to stop, but the 49ers have the power to at least slow him down. Jimmy G might have to play like he did in New Orleans to secure a victory though. I WANT THAT SIXTH RANG.
That's just it! JG's throw-for-throw performance against...Drew Brees ought to tell you that he is not a game-manager. Like Griese and especially Aikman, if he has to pass...he can. Stopping SF's run instead of the pass is the better strategy, but be careful in focusing too much on that.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
Ness wrote:I'm glad the squad made it. Mahomes will be tough to stop, but the 49ers have the power to at least slow him down. Jimmy G might have to play like he did in New Orleans to secure a victory though. I WANT THAT SIXTH RANG.
That's just it! JG's throw-for-throw performance against...Drew Brees ought to tell you that he is not a game-manager. Like Griese and especially Aikman, if he has to pass...he can. Stopping SF's run instead of the pass is the better strategy, but be careful in focusing too much on that.
What exactly is a "game manager"? Isn't managing the game the primary responsibility of all QBs?
Alex Smith has had some great passing days. Did that make him less of a "game manager"?
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

JohnH19 wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:
What exactly is a "game manager"? Isn't managing the game the primary responsibility of all QBs?
Alex Smith has had some great passing days. Did that make him less of a "game manager"?
Presumably a guy who doesn't put up great stats but doesn't commit turnovers or otherwise give up the ball.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

BD Sullivan wrote: Presumably a guy who doesn't put up great stats but doesn't commit turnovers or otherwise give up the ball.
Oh, I know what it's supposed to mean but it's one of those silly 21st century terms that rubs me the wrong way. All QBs are "game managers". Some are just better than others.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

JohnH19 wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:
JohnH19 wrote:
BD Sullivan wrote: Presumably a guy who doesn't put up great stats but doesn't commit turnovers or otherwise give up the ball.
Oh, I know what it's supposed to mean but it's one of those silly 21st century terms that rubs me the wrong way. All QBs are "game managers". Some are just better than others.
For lack-of-a-better/easier term, I simply applied it. I guess it's like calling someone 'insecure'. We're ALL insecure, just that when someone is called such a thing, it's supposed to mean that he or she is really, REALLY the case.

Yes, Alex Smith certainly had some great passing days! I think of his very own throw-for-throw vs Drew Brees in that NFC divisional win in 2011! Maybe it's seen as an excuse, but I lean a bit on the fact that he having umpteen OCs in his career not helping his case as far as not being a 'sexy' QB is concerned. He was doing just fine in 2012 as SF was en route to their SB berth. Curious as to how he would have made out had Harbaugh kept him as the starter, especially under-center during that red zone possession in that Super Bowl.

As for this year's Forty Niners/this year's Super Bowl...I do want KC to win (it's been fifty years and, of course, don't want SF tying the 'Burgh), but am leaning more-and-more toward San Fran-and-the-under with Jimmy Garoppolo as the SBMVP.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I think the media and las vegas is undervaluing San Francisco. They played an incredibly brutal schedule this year and emerged as the #1 seed and are now in the Super Bowl. Wins over the Vikings and Packers were no flukes. Both those teams were solid during the regular season. The 49ers have a really solid defense, the best KC and Mahomes will have faced all season. I have to give SF the edge. Their offense has been getting it done, too. Great WR play and rushing attack. Jimmy G is doing what he needs to get it done. Not trying too hard or trying to be a hero.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

sluggermatt15 wrote:I think the media and las vegas is undervaluing San Francisco. They played an incredibly brutal schedule this year and emerged as the #1 seed and are now in the Super Bowl. Wins over the Vikings and Packers were no flukes. Both those teams were solid during the regular season. The 49ers have a really solid defense, the best KC and Mahomes will have faced all season. I have to give SF the edge. Their offense has been getting it done, too. Great WR play and rushing attack. Jimmy G is doing what he needs to get it done. Not trying too hard or trying to be a hero.
It's because KC has the ability to score a lot of points in a hurry. Though a strong defensive team will often bring more championships than a team that can score like the Chiefs do. However a team like the Chiefs will always do a better job of creating fans.