Bogus Hall of Famer from YOUR Team

7DnBrnc53

Re: Bogus Hall of Famer from YOUR Team

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

I have no problem with Fred Dean being in Canton (although he certainly isn't over-qualified).
Dean should be in HOVG, but it was a crime that he was selected over Gradishar 12 years ago (in Randy's last chance with the regular election). He only made four Pro Bowls, and only had two first-team All-Pro selections. Gradishar had the same amount of first-team All-Pro selections, but he made seven Pro Bowls, and he was the 1978 Defensive Player of the Year. The media probably selected Dean because a lot of them have favored the 49ers over the years.
Andy Piascik

Post by Andy Piascik »

JohnTurney wrote:Les Richter, Crazy Legs, Fears

Little, Terrell Davis (borderline)
Surprised you say both Hirsch and Fears.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
I have no problem with Fred Dean being in Canton (although he certainly isn't over-qualified).
Dean should be in HOVG, but it was a crime that he was selected over Gradishar 12 years ago (in Randy's last chance with the regular election). He only made four Pro Bowls, and only had two first-team All-Pro selections. Gradishar had the same amount of first-team All-Pro selections, but he made seven Pro Bowls, and he was the 1978 Defensive Player of the Year. The media probably selected Dean because a lot of them have favored the 49ers over the years.
I would agree Gradishar is probably more worthy.
But that doesn't invalidate Dean's case.

And I would think the 49ers of that era are "favored" because they won championships.
As discussed elsewhere, championship teams/teams of the decade can often be a deciding factor in inclusion in the Hall of Fame.

FWIW, I had the opportunity to ask Dwaine Board if Dean was hall-worthy and his response was an emphatic "Yes."
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

I've never quite understood why Tony Canadeo was supposed to be great. He was versatile and durable, but was All-Pro just once and was not a factor on Green Bay's '44 championship team. Nothing about him jumps off the page. Maybe a case of "you had to be there."