Was St. Vincent vindictive?

wtgriffin59

Was St. Vincent vindictive?

Post by wtgriffin59 »

Interesting stat I came across today.

I was curious about how the Packers reacted to playing the Eagles the first time after the 1960 championship game.

The "rematch" came in 1962 - with arguably the Packers one of the greatest teams in history and the Eagles finishing at 3-11.

Still, Green Bay exacted its revenge in a 49-0 blowout victory.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 110phi.htm

The Packers had a 37-3 edge in first downs in the game and a 628-54 advantage in total yards.

The most notable stat I saw was that the Packers tried six halfback option plays in the game. There were three passes by Tom Moore, two by Paul Hornung and even one by Elijah Pitts.

I have never seen six option passes by one team in a game.

My question is ... was Vince Lombardi getting a little payback for the game two seasons earlier?

I don't have any memory of the game. I'm curious if anybody remembers the game and its circumstances.

tim g.
sheajets

Re: Was St. Vincent vindictive?

Post by sheajets »

Anybody with that kind of burning passion to win I think would be. Not that he had any sort of hatred for the Eagles(like Belichick and his irrational Jets hatred) but just to for his own peace of mind get even for 1960. Not sure any of the other circumstances surrounding that game...what the media was saying...if any players were chirping in the papers about the 1960 game to antagonize GB and Lombardi.

Lombardi did stew on that Championship Game loss for quite a bit of time
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Lombardi did call off the dogs and sent in the reserves for most of the fourth quarter, so I'm not sure whether it was vindictiveness or just plain Eagle futility. Philly didn't get their first first down until the final 30 seconds of the first half and never got past the Packer 48. Irv Cross' interception actually stopped the first GB drive of the day--with the Pack answering by scoring touchdowns on their next seven drives. All of those drives were for 65 yards or more.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

It's interesting that in that day Max McGee had the only 200 yards from scrimmage game of his career.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

The Packers had a 35-0 halftime lead. They scored only 14 points in the 3rd quarter and none in the 4th quarter, so it's pretty hard to say Lombardi was pouring it on.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Also remembered Buck Shaw retired after 1960 so even though Lombardi could close the book on things from 1960, it could never be a true revenge (and I think Lombardi said some kind things about Shaw after losing)
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Teo wrote:It's interesting that in that day Max McGee had the only 200 yards from scrimmage game of his career.
He was helped by the "fake punt" play he ran. I have seen highlights. He hesitated about 4 times before realizing the Eagles were paying no attention to him, and took the gift first down. Helps explain the loss.