Best Left-Handed QBs in NFL History?

Oszuscik

Best Left-Handed QBs in NFL History?

Post by Oszuscik »

I’m a lefty, so naturally I appreciate a good left-handed QB when one comes along. Growing up I was well aware of Steve Young and Mark Brunell, but just today I was watching old highlights of Kenny Stabler and found out he was a lefty too. Are there any other good southpaws throughout NFL history that come to mind?
Rupert Patrick

Re: Best Left-Handed QBs in NFL History?

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Boomer Esiason was pretty good too. Young may have had the best stats, but a lot of that may have been due to the fact he succeeded Joe Montana in SF and walked into a system that was designed for a QB like him with a great staff and roster, and if was really so great, why couldn't he do anything in Tampa Bay?. However, if I had to win one game and had to choose a southpaw, I'd go with Stabler, and that's an easy choice. Stabler was one of those QB's that no matter how far he was down, you always had the feeling he would come back and win.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

I'm pretty sure Frankie Albert was a lefty, too.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Bob Gill wrote:I'm pretty sure Frankie Albert was a lefty, too.
Yes, he was.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Tebow and Vick come to mind.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

rhickok1109 wrote:Tebow and Vick come to mind.
never count out touchdown tim
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Bobby Douglas and I believe David Humm as well.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Wendell02

Post by Wendell02 »

In addition to those already identified, PFR has (since 1950): Kellen Moore, Matt Leinart, Chris Sims, Cade McNown, Scott Mitchell, Brock Huard, Tony Graziani, Erik Wilhelm, Will Furrer, Todd Marinovich, Jim Zorn, Paul McDonald, Jim Del Gaizo and Terry Baker. Allie Sherman was a lefty passer for the Eagles in the mid-1940's, but he was never their leading passer.

How about left-footed kickers? I can think of Lou Michaels, Garo Yepremian, Morten Andersen and Sebastian Janikowski. I'm sure there are others.
Wendell02

Post by Wendell02 »

Missed a few passers: Dennis Morrison, Jeff Carlson, Steve Matthews, Doug Nussmeier, Dave Ragone, Matt Lytle, Jared Lorenzen, Tyler Palko.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Tossing the football around in the backyard with my dad as a kid, he'd always call me "the snake". Yes, I'm a lefty. :)