NFL 100 CB, S, STs

JohnTurney

NFL 100 CB, S, STs

Post by JohnTurney »

Pretty good job on the secondary.

There are better CBs than Green--but what can you do, he's okay.

The S---hard to argue with them.

Lechler is poor choice, but the BR committee just looked at
gross and All-Pros.

The kickers were also predictable. Same with White Shoes
not that he is better (or worse) than Upchurch, but
he always gets the ink.

So, I'd say they got them right excpet for 2-3, about same average
as the other positions.

EDIT: Lots of criticism of the CBs on Twitter, more than the S, though
Brian Dawkins not being there is drawing some ire
TanksAndSpartans

Re: NFL 100 CB, S, STs

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Thanks John. I actually did OK predicting this round - I hit on all the special teams and only missed 2 DBs:

CB (6/7): Night Train Lane, Deion Sanders, Mel Blount, Mike Haynes, R. Woodson, Willie Brown
Missed on Green, I had Herb Adderly

S (5/6): Lott, Tunnell, Reed, Houston, Larry Wilson
Missed on Christiansen, I had Willie Wood

KR (2/2): Billy White Shoes Johnson, Hester

K (2/2): Stenerud, Vinatieri

P (2/2): Guy, Lechler

This wasn't my team - just my predictions based on 50 yr team, 75 yr team, and watching these kinds of shows before.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Thanks John. I actually did OK predicting this round - I hit on all the special teams and only missed 2 DBs:

CB (6/7): Night Train Lane, Deion Sanders, Mel Blount, Mike Haynes, R. Woodson, Willie Brown
Missed on Green, I had Herb Adderly

S (5/6): Lott, Tunnell, Reed, Houston, Larry Wilson
Missed on Christiansen, I had Willie Wood

KR (2/2): Billy White Shoes Johnson, Hester

K (2/2): Stenerud, Vinatieri

P (2/2): Guy, Lechler

This wasn't my team - just my predictions based on 50 yr team, 75 yr team, and watching these kinds of shows before.
I would have preferred Adderly to green, too. And Dawkins over Houston.

KRs okay---Lechler, no way. But still, the BR committee did very well, IMO
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

FWIW (and I know that's not much around here) I am glad Jerrel Wilson received "honorable mention."
His punting greatly impressed me when I was learning the game.

I understand the knock against him... too many blocks (12 in his career, Guy had only 3).
But it is a team game and I wonder how many were directly his fault. Did he kick too low or too slow or...?

Anyway, I agree with the consensus above (so neither Lombardi DB made the cut??) a good job over all with a few objections here or there... it could've been a lot worse...
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

On the contrary, I fully expected Green, dude played forever and is still well known as that guy who could run a 4.4 in sneakers right now. Body of work wise, he's a bit like "the Jim Marshall of CBs" but better, but his reputation is too big and skillset too unique to leave him off.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

JuggernautJ wrote:Did he kick too low or too slow or...?
Low and slow. Works for BBQ, not for punters. :)
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JuggernautJ wrote: But it is a team game and I wonder how many were directly his fault. Did he kick too low or too slow or...?

a three-stepper
JWL

Post by JWL »

I really, really do not like the Darrell Green and Shane Lechler selections. There is a double digit number of players of whom I would have selected before I took either one of those two. The rest of the selections of last night were fine. It is a shame Darrelle Revis, Charles Woodson (one of those should have had Green's spot), Lem Barney, Herb Adderley, etc. could not make it but there were limited spots. Kenny Easley and Willie Wood did not make it at safety. Again, spots were limited.
JWL

Post by JWL »

The toughest time to play cornerback has arguably been the past quarter century. Nobody from that period made the cornerback list. (I'm not counting the latter stage of Green's career here). I have this as a pretty awful mistake by the panel. Yes, Sanders made it and played in the past 25 years but he had made the 75th Anniversary Team. There should have been a post-Sanders guy on this team. There were multiple quality candidates.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Not really a fan of the Willie Brown and Darrell Green selections. I would have replaced them with Herb Adderley and Charles Woodson.

Safety position is really tough with only 6 spots. I caped for Willie Wood, but I didn't have much hope that he'd make the team.