CB and S for NFL 100

TanksAndSpartans

Re: CB and S for NFL 100

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

JameisLoseston wrote:I wonder if the presence of names like Donnie Shell means certain HOF induction is coming for them in the big senior class. Will be worth watching which non-HOFers get on over HOFers the rest of the way.
I thought of this same thing like maybe the non-HOFers nominated are the hints they are giving us - doesn't look good for Dilweg or any of the older players.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

JohnTurney wrote:
JameisLoseston wrote:I wonder if the presence of names like Donnie Shell means certain HOF induction is coming for them in the big senior class. Will be worth watching which non-HOFers get on over HOFers the rest of the way.

Tony Dungy was on the blue ribbon committee---had to help Shell
Hm, that explains why Dungy made the cut for the coaches!
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:
I thought of this same thing like maybe the non-HOFers nominated are the hints they are giving us - doesn't look good for Dilweg or any of the older players.
Doubt that. I mean what are the odds Dilweg was getting nominated for anything in particular? Hardly anyone has heard of him but us diehards, and they seem to be throwing darts for the early era picks to enough of an extent that there's no way a non-HOFer even comes close. Doubt the committee even knows where to find his INT stats, or he could've gotten nominated as a DE. The HOF committee on the other hand has surely heard the calls for him and is much more likely to take a deeper dive. No one was clamoring for Dilweg on the 100 team.
boknows34

Post by boknows34 »

There are 12 members on both the 100th anniversary team panel and the PFHOF class of 2020 blue ribbon panel. Tony Dungy will certainly be one of Shell’s biggest supporters, but he isn’t part of the 2020 blue ribbon panel, just the 100th anniversary team panel.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JohnTurney wrote:Herb Adderley

Willie Wood
I've been watching a lot of 1960's Packers games, and I wanted to weigh in on these two guys. They both stand out on film, especially Wood. They were both smart, sure tacklers, and covered a lot of ground. I think you could make a case that Adderley was the best CB in history based on the success of his career. I think Wood was better than any of the 50's-60's safeties...better than Tunnell, Wilson, Lary, Robinson. I guess the Packers had so many stars that Wood kind of got lost in the shuffle, and he had to wait awhile before he was enshrined in Canton.

I think Adderley and Wood are what set the Packers apart from other teams in the 1960's, especially their top rival throughout the decade...Baltimore. The Packers' pass defense was always top notch, even as the defensive players started to collectively age. Think of the Colts in big games...Gary Collins beating Bobby Boyd for 3 TDs in a stunning 27-0 upset...then the next year the Packers hold the Browns to 12 points and 161 yards as Wood and Adderley intercept Frank Ryan. Colts lose SB III as George Sauer burns Lenny Lyles...Packers win SB I on Wood's big INT, and Adderley has INT TD in SB II Packers win.
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

Bryan wrote:
JohnTurney wrote:Herb Adderley

Willie Wood
I've been watching a lot of 1960's Packers games, and I wanted to weigh in on these two guys. They both stand out on film, especially Wood. They were both smart, sure tacklers, and covered a lot of ground. I think you could make a case that Adderley was the best CB in history based on the success of his career. I think Wood was better than any of the 50's-60's safeties...better than Tunnell, Wilson, Lary, Robinson. I guess the Packers had so many stars that Wood kind of got lost in the shuffle, and he had to wait awhile before he was enshrined in Canton.

I think Adderley and Wood are what set the Packers apart from other teams in the 1960's, especially their top rival throughout the decade...Baltimore. The Packers' pass defense was always top notch, even as the defensive players started to collectively age. Think of the Colts in big games...Gary Collins beating Bobby Boyd for 3 TDs in a stunning 27-0 upset...then the next year the Packers hold the Browns to 12 points and 161 yards as Wood and Adderley intercept Frank Ryan. Colts lose SB III as George Sauer burns Lenny Lyles...Packers win SB I on Wood's big INT, and Adderley has INT TD in SB II Packers win.
Good analysis. I know Nitschke, or read that Nitschke, held Willie Woods in high regards. Said Willie would chew him out if he didn't perform to the best of his ability.
JWL

Post by JWL »

If Wood makes the team that would be great. If he is not one of the best safeties of all-time he has to at least be in the top 10.