Special teams finalists

JameisLoseston

Re: Special teams finalists

Post by JameisLoseston »

boknows34 wrote:
JohnTurney wrote:
boknows34 wrote:Does anyone have Ray Guy’s net averages or 20/TB ratio?
I do, but what relevance is it? I've got league averages since 1976 and
pretty close to complete from late-1960s
Just thought a few of us here would be interested to how Guy matched up as those numbers aren’t easily found. PFR don’t include such data.
Second this. Hard to find good data on him. Was he really elite? People have to know.
boknows34

Post by boknows34 »

I mean, it’s a thread on special teams players for the 100th anniversary team. I’m not sure why John has to be defensive in asking why it’s relevant to see Guy’s numbers for net average and 20/TB ratio. Of course it’s relevant. That’s why we’re here.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JameisLoseston wrote:
boknows34 wrote:
Just thought a few of us here would be interested to how Guy matched up as those numbers aren’t easily found. PFR don’t include such data.
Second this. Hard to find good data on him. Was he really elite? People have to know.
anecdotally he was. Honors-wise he was. No punter has more testimonials that I know of.

I think the numbers show he was the best of his era, call it the post-1974 rule change era
to the time when punters began more placement punting. I think 1985 or so was when that was
The numbers show he was ahead of his peers, not not as much ahead as a couple of others

https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com ... -post.html
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JohnTurney wrote:
anecdotally he was. Honors-wise he was. No punter has more testimonials that I know of.

I think the numbers show he was the best of his era, call it the post-1974 rule change era
to the time when punters began more placement punting. I think 1985 or so was when that was
The numbers show he was ahead of his peers, not not as much ahead as a couple of others

https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com ... -post.html
Having watched a lot of Ray Guy during his career (and I wished a lot more Raiders games were available during the 70's), I felt Guy was on a plateau by himself compared to all the other punters, probably in the same way people must have felt watching Jan Stenerud in the late 60's compared to all the other kickers in pro football. It wasn't that Guy was doing something different than the other punters, but he had an uncanny knack to make the ball land exactly where he wanted it to land, and I had never seen a punter do that before with that kind of authority. It was like he would say to himself beforehand, "I'm going to kick it out of bounds at the two-yard line," and he would do just that, time after time. It really wasn't until Lechler and others came along 25 years later that punters had that kind of control over their punts. He said to himself, "I'm going to hit the gondola above the Superdome," and he did it, and if memory serves, he was the only person who ever did it. That's what made Ray Guy so great, incredible leg strength and pinpoint control; it took all the other punters a quarter century to catch up to what he was able to do.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

boknows34 wrote:I mean, it’s a thread on special teams players for the 100th anniversary team. I’m not sure why John has to be defensive in asking why it’s relevant to see Guy’s numbers for net average and 20/TB ratio. Of course it’s relevant. That’s why we’re here.
I wasn't defensive, it was more like since you were so sure about Lechler and his place in history, that I thought you might have already known Guy's numbers. They are not all that hard to find.

His first 3 seasons are here
https://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/201 ... candidacy/

The rest are after the inside the 20 and net punting became official, so they are in the
yearly record and fact books and the websites that used them.