Browns Steelers fight

Rupert Patrick

Browns Steelers fight

Post by Rupert Patrick »

The NFL Network is reporting Myles Garrett has been suspended for the remainder of the regular season and postseason at a minimum, Pouncey got a three-game suspension and Ogunjobi got a one-game suspension. The hit on Rudolph by Garrett was excessive, I thought, especially in the last ten seconds of the game as the Browns already had the game won, and Rudolph had the right to be upset about it and getting in Garrett's face, but Garrett swinging a helmet into Rudolph's head is awful, and it just went downhill from there.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... definitely

It's been a while since there's been an on-field fracas of that kind.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Jeremy Crowhurst

Re: Browns Steelers fight

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Postseason - HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

When I read the account of it, I was expecting to see blood pouring out of every one of Rudolph's orifices. But when you see it, the helmet bounces off his head and he's up like the Energizer Bunny, immediately yelling for a flag.

Albert Haynesworth's stomp of Andre Gurode comes to mind, though it was way worse. Even most of Suh's stuff doesn't really come close. I can't really think of anything else comparable.
James

Browns Steelers fight

Post by James »

I can't believe Pouncey was suspended three games. He should have beat the fuck out of Garrett for what Garrett did to the QB. It seems like the NFL, besides pussyfying the game, now takes issue with a teammate trying to defend another teammate, it's nuts.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

James wrote:I can't believe Pouncey was suspended three games. He should have beat the fuck out of Garrett for what Garrett did to the QB. It seems like the NFL, besides pussyfying the game, now takes issue with a teammate trying to defend another teammate, it's nuts.
I agree.
Pouncey defended his teammate from assault with a deadly weapon. I don't see the grounds for suspension.
What is he supposed to do? Stand there at let Garrett attempt murder again and again?
That's some (I'll add my own expletive here) Bullshit.
James

Post by James »

JuggernautJ wrote:
James wrote:I can't believe Pouncey was suspended three games. He should have beat the fuck out of Garrett for what Garrett did to the QB. It seems like the NFL, besides pussyfying the game, now takes issue with a teammate trying to defend another teammate, it's nuts.
I agree.
Pouncey defended his teammate from assault with a deadly weapon. I don't see the grounds for suspension.
What is he supposed to do? Stand there at let Garrett attempt murder again and again?
Exactly. Getting pounded on your head with a helmet, Pouncey did the RIGHT thing in defending his teammate.Getting suspended for defending his teammate is just plain wrong.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:When I read the account of it, I was expecting to see blood pouring out of every one of Rudolph's orifices. But when you see it, the helmet bounces off his head and he's up like the Energizer Bunny, immediately yelling for a flag.
Yup, I watched the game so saw it as it happened, my general reaction was a subdued "well, he's going to get suspended for that" and already started to get annoyed in advance of the non-stop coverage of it I knew was coming. Didn't even take a minute after the game ended until I saw media saying "assault", and "he could have killed him" (my note: he's alive, no one died), and a lot of the self-righteous "I shouldn't have to see that" all about themselves nonsense and all the typical modern society reaction you would expect that's completely over-the-top.

"Can't do that, should be [and was] suspended." - A reasonable reaction.

Definitely not that worst "helmet rip off" I've ever seen in the NFL, not the first time I've seen a helmet swung and helmetless player hit with his own helmet in the NFL, not even close to the worst fight(s) I've seen in the NFL, have seen helmets thrown at opponents, and so on. Plus it's arguably more common in practice/training camp to rip off and swing helmets at eachother. Remember reading stories about it a handful of times and I've seen it in-person if you start including all levels of football.

Ripping off helmet and swinging it has happened in college football, too. In games and in practice/camp. And, it's happened in HS football before, too and actually probably the worst 'contact' on a swung helmet to head, or even all of the top-3 worst I've seen all happened in HS. It's not something new or that's never happened before or as media people have said "Nothing like this has ever happened before" (yes it has) or "this is the worst thing that's ever happened on a football field" (people have literally died on football fields) so the coverage/hyperbole that I instantly knew was coming was the reaction, for me.
JWL

Post by JWL »

If you come to my job and start attacking my co-worker and then I beat the crap out of you, you'd be okay with what I did, right?
Last edited by JWL on Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JWL

Post by JWL »

JuggernautJ wrote:
I agree.
A reasonable person can understand what Pouncey did. That reasonable person can also understand why he deserves a suspension. Reasonable people can then debate on how long that suspension should be.

David DeCastro had the proper reaction. He grabbed Myles Garrett in an effort to keep Garrett away from any other players.
James

Browns Steelers fight

Post by James »

JWL wrote:

If you come to my job and start attacking my co-worker and then I beat the crap out of you, you'd be okay with what I did, right?
If I came to your job and started beating the crap out of one of your co-workers and you jumped in and beat the crap out of me, well, I deserved it as you would be defending your co-worker.
JKelly

Post by JKelly »

Quick question doesn't Rudolph have some blame? If he just got up none of this would have happened. Granted Garrett's reaction was way out of line but I find it humorous how Rudolph is coming of as a cherub.

I think that all the suspensions were warranted but again if he doesn't try to play tough guy we are discussing how bad the Steelers offense is (granted because of injuries) not a fight.