USA Today’s top 100 QBs

bachslunch

USA Today’s top 100 QBs

Post by bachslunch »

Eh, another weakly thought through argument-starter list, for top 100 QBs, from USA Today:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/09/nfl-10 ... arterbacks

Apparently doesn’t go far enough back to include folks like Van Brocklin, Graham, Luckman, and folks like that. Apparently based on AV, with postseason figured in somehow. Has among other things, Elway ahead of Unitas; Testaverde and Palmer ahead of Jurgensen, Brodie, and Gabriel; Namath ranked 49th behind the likes of Grogan and Morton; Rivers 54th; and Bert Jones 74th.
paulksandiego

Re: USA Today’s top 100 QBs

Post by paulksandiego »

Yeah, Craig Morton was better than Joe Namath :roll:
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The fact that you say they've got Testaverde ahead of Jurgensen makes me not want to bother clicking on this. Well, maybe I will later out of morbid curiosity.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Re: Johnny Unitas (#7)
Many consider Unitas the best quarterback of all-time, and we’re not going to argue with them — we just never got a chance to see him play. He certainly has a case. He retired with just about every passing record and won three rings (only one Super Bowl, though) over the course of his career. He loses points here for sub-par play in the postseason.
In other words, "I am not qualified to write this article but I will anyway..."

And (by virtue of inclusion) Jeff Blake > Otto Graham or Norm Van Brocklin (not included on list)

Crazy....
paulksandiego

Post by paulksandiego »

This might actually be the worst Top 100 list I've ever seen regardless of subject.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

paulksandiego wrote:This might actually be the worst Top 100 list I've ever seen regardless of subject.
+1

I'm obviously not one of the AAFC rah-rah folks on here, but Babe Parilli on the list and not Otto Graham is pretty bad. I'd love to hear someone defend that position.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:....Babe Parilli on the list and not Otto Graham is pretty bad. I'd love to hear someone defend that position.
"To build this list, I used Pro Football Reference’s “approximate value” AV rankings to get a baseline, and then made some individual calls off of that."

I understand he also writes how-to articles for the New England Journal of Medicine based on old wives' tales of the 1880's....
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Hell, you could ignore Graham's AAFC numbers and still put him in the Top 20 (or even 10). Three titles and reaching the championship game in each of his six years give him plenty of cache.

"Starr is the forgotten quarterback in Green Bay" because "Rodgers may be the most talented quarterback to ever play"--Jesus...